This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9479 / 50°56'52"N
Longitude: -2.5138 / 2°30'49"W
OS Eastings: 364003
OS Northings: 116625
OS Grid: ST640166
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NLXJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.VXG
Entry Name: Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104025
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Dated 1803, opened 1804 and enlarged 1814 and 1821. The present south
front dates from 1821. It consists of a stucco gable end, the gable itself
being outlined by a moulded parapet coping and string. Traceried panel
treatment to quoin pilasters. Two large traceried windows in early Gothic
Revival style. In centre is circular enriched panel with dates. Two elaborate
Gothic style doorways with pointed heads, carved spandrels shafted pilasters,
etc. Enriched door panels. The side elevations have "Churchwarden" Gothic
windows with oval lights above. Square bell cupola at north end of roof.
The south front is set back behind graveyard.
Premises occupied by Mr E J T Rogers, Congregational Chapel, Dwarf wall,
railings and gates to Congregational Chapel, School room to south of Congregational
Chapel, Cromwell, Belmont, Wistaria House and Dwarf walls and railings
and Thorn Bank form a group.
Listing NGR: ST6400316625
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings