This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7203 / 50°43'13"N
Longitude: -1.8791 / 1°52'44"W
OS Eastings: 408627
OS Northings: 91196
OS Grid: SZ086911
Mapcode National: GBR X73.MQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y5.PQB
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 1 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101799
Location: Bournemouth, BH1
Unitary Authority Ward: Central
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
5186 OLD CHRISTCHURCH ROAD
Nos 1 to 5 (odd)
(National Westminster Bank)
SZ 0891 13/129 1.8.74.
Prominently sited at corner of Richmond Hill, originally called Central Chambers,
1888 by Lawson and Donkin. Mixed Renaissance, 4 storeys and dormer. Ground
floor of stone, with pilasters, remodelled circa 1920. Upper floors, giant
Ionic pilasters of buff brick with Bath stone dressings, yellower brick for voussoirs
lst floor windows 2-light, with pilaster mullion, under triangular pediment.
2nd floor windows have arched glazing bars under broad 4-centred arches, with
spandrels of Purbeck stone. 3rd floor window segment-headed, in pairs, 4th floor
dormers with segmental pediments supported by consoles, against slate mansard.
Main dentil cornice supported on coupled console brackets. Includes annexe in
Old Christchurch Road: same ground floor, but 2 upper floors entirely of stone
with giant pilasters. Window segmental on lst floor, round-headed on 2nd, moulded
frames, panelled spandrels. Main cornice on console brackets over frieze, top
Listing NGR: SZ0862791196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings