History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

6, St Michael's Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbourne and West Cliff, Bournemouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7194 / 50°43'9"N

Longitude: -1.8854 / 1°53'7"W

OS Eastings: 408185

OS Northings: 91095

OS Grid: SZ081910

Mapcode National: GBR X6B.JB

Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y5.M9K

Entry Name: 6, St Michael's Road

Listing Date: 1 August 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1324754

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101838

Location: Bournemouth, BH2

County: Bournemouth

Unitary Authority Ward: Westbourne and West Cliff

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Bournemouth St John with St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Bournemouth

Listing Text

1.
5186 ST MICHAEL'S ROAD
(West Side)
No 6
SZ 089l 13/117 1.8.74

II

2.
Built as Freemasons' Hall,circa 1870, but still of Italianate type of circa 1840
(style of Charles Fowler). Elegant facade of colour-washed brick dressed in
stucco, on basement increasing in depth down hill. Tall central bay with arched
window (moulded frame, sill on consoles) flanked by pairs of giant pilasters
supporting entablature and pediment. Main hall set back on either side, with
clerestory of small arched windows, behind lower wings with arched windows, pilasters
and entablature. In place of left-hand window, bigger arch for entrance, secondary
entrance at other end (to basement) added 1910 - good Michelangesque frame with
rusticated piers and swagged keystone under segmental pediment. Hall interior
has shallow segmental plaster ceiling on coving: end bays with ribs (carved with
foliage) radiating from circle, central bay, also with circle, has transverse
ribs connecting pilasters on side walls, flanking projecting bay under external
pediment and segmentally pedimented doorway opposite, both with dentil cornices.
Through doorway is lobby, parallel to hall, with staircase to basement: pitched
skylight over semi-circular ceiling ribs, walls given frenchy plaster panelling
in 1910. Beyond is second larger hall added 1910: plaster ceiling of 4-centred
section with flat skylight in centre and arched ribs carried on elaborate corbels
with console brackets and blocks with hanging tassels, plaster panelling to walls.


Listing NGR: SZ0818591095

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.