History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of Saint Laud

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mabe, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1499 / 50°8'59"N

Longitude: -5.1404 / 5°8'25"W

OS Eastings: 175744

OS Northings: 32479

OS Grid: SW757324

Mapcode National: GBR Z8.VNTR

Mapcode Global: FRA 083M.K5L

Entry Name: Church of Saint Laud

Location: Mabe, Cornwall, TR10

County: Cornwall

Parish: Mabe

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Listing Date: 10 July 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66494

Source ID: 1328122

Listing Text



SW 73 SE MABE SPARGO

3/82 (was 6/100 B) Church of Saint Laud

10.7.57
GV II*


Parish church. Possibly parts of chancel are C13 or C14 otherwise, C15, restored in
1868. Granite ashlar tower and south aisle, otherwise mostly granite rubble with
granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Granite coped gable to
porch.
Plan: Nave and chancel under one roof; C15 west tower; C15 north aisle (largely
rebuilt in the C19); C15 south aisle and C15 south porch. Rood stair projection to
south wall.
Exterior: Complete C15 unbuttressed 3-stage embattled west tower with crocketted
pinnacles over the cornice. High moulded plinth and strings dividing the stages. 4-
centred arched west doorway with the mouldings enriched with carving and carved heads
as label stops. 4-light traceried Perpendicular window above doorway and 3-light
traceried windows to the upper stage. North aisle was mostly rebuilt in the C19
reusing five C15 2-light windows to the north wall and a C15 3-light window to each
gable end. Chancel has C15 3-light east window with bosses on the cusps of the
tracery. C15 south aisle is complete and has all its original traceried
Perpendicular windows: 4-light east window, otherwise 3-light windows. High moulded
plinth (like that of the tower) and coved cornice to wallplate. Canted rood stair
projection midway between porch and east end. Small round-headed priest's doorway
right of stair projection. C15 porch has similar plinth and has original gable
copings carried on moulded kneelers. C15 4-centred arch doorway with cable moulding
and leaf carving to the deep spandrels. C15 doorway inner is carved freestone and
has similar cable, mouldings. Holy water stoup in porch wall right of doorway.
Interior: Plastered walls; C15 arcade. with octagonal piers and 4-centred arches; C15
tower arch with carved heads to the imposts; C19 arch-braced and wind-braced roofs.
Fittings: Mostly C19 fittings except for very old reset alabaster fragments in
reredos.


Listing NGR: SW7574432479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.