This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1861 / 50°11'9"N
Longitude: -5.0948 / 5°5'41"W
OS Eastings: 179170
OS Northings: 36367
OS Grid: SW791363
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.FGVC
Mapcode Global: FRA 086J.JZM
Entry Name: Enys House Including Adjoining Service Wing, Clocktower, Walls and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1328147
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66521
Location: St. Gluvias, Cornwall, TR10
Civil Parish: St. Gluvias
Locality: St Gluvias
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Gluvias
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE ST GLUVIAS ENYS
1/113 Enys (house) including adjoining
service wing, clocktower, walls
10.7.57 walls and gate-piers
Country house, including adjoining service wing, clocktower, walls and gate-piers.
C18 service wing; house rebuilt circa 1840. Former home of the Enys family. Granite
ashlar to C19 house, granite and killas rubble with elvan arches to the C18 part,
later stuccoed (stucco partly fallen). Dry Delabole slate hipped roofs behind stone
parapets. Brick axial stacks (some are stuccoed) with moulded cornices, over the
cross and axial walls.
Plan: Large plan with 2 nearly square blocks plus single-storey service wing,
clocktower adjoining walls and gate-piers on the left. Deeper-plan house on the
right has entrance porch and vestibule (between 2 rooms) leading to very large stair
hall which gives access to rooms on all sides. The house is 3 rooms deep on the
right and the hall gives access to axial passage between shallower plan double-pile
C18 service range, on the left.
Exterior: 3 storey service range, 2 storey house. Unaltered elevations. Circa
1840's doors and windows in original openings. Both house and service wing have
stone parapets with moulded cornices. West entrance front has regular 4-window front
of C18 service wing set back on the left and symmetrical 3-window entrance front of
house on the right. House has central doorway set back with dressed granite porch
with paired square columns and moulded entablature. 6-pane door with overlight. 12-
pane hornless sashes (ground floor windows are taller. Service wing has entrance
porch set back on the left. Round-headed doorway with 6-panel door. 1:4: 1-bay
south garden front with central bays recessed and similar 1:3: 1-bay rear (east)
garden front. Rear of service wing is similar to the front. Outbuildings, walls,
clocktower and gate-piers adjoin on the left of the service wing front. Circa late-
C19 3-stage granite clocktower in Italianate style. Wide dressed stone gate-piers
with moulded caps surmounted by ramped pyramids with ball finials.
Interior: C18 service wing has C18 dog-leg stair with closed string and turned
balusters. House has most of its original features including: panelled doors and
reveals, panelled window shutters; some chimney-pieces and moulded plaster ceiling
cornices. Stair is possibly later C19 or a later C19 remodelling of the original
Listing NGR: SW7917036367
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings