This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.618 / 54°37'4"N
Longitude: -1.0617 / 1°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 460689
OS Northings: 525161
OS Grid: NZ606251
Mapcode National: GBR PH01.YC
Mapcode Global: WHF80.N6M4
Entry Name: Royal National Lifeboat Institute Zetland Lifeboat Museum and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 29 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60297
Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Redcar St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 62 NW
2/42 R.N.L.I. Zetland Lifeboat
Museum and attached wall.
United Free Gardners Lifeboat House, 1877, now a museum; 2nd-floor lookout
now used as coastguard station. Altered early C20 and mid C20 when
3rd-floor lookout cabin added. Brick in English garden wall bond. Welsh
slate roof; concrete roof on coastguard station. Brick and timber lookout
cabin and steel balustrade. 3-storey, single-bay front. Wide lifeboat
entrance now holds mid C20 part-glazed doors, sidelights and overlights, in
altered slender timber pilaster-and-entablature surround. Paired sash
windows with painted sills on upper floors; cambered brick arches on first
floor concrete lintels on 2nd floor. Stone plaques bearing sculptured arms
to left and right of first-floor windows. That at left : United Free
Gardners, dated 1877; that at right : Emma Dawson. Similar carved monograms
below. Flat roof with post-and-rail balustrade. Flat-roofed cabin. Right
return, 3 storeys at left end, 2 storeys at right. Part-glazed door with
sidelights and overlight, flanked by altered windows in original openings
with painted lintels and sills. Sash window with glazing bars, and altered
door and overlight, both with cambered heads, at right. 5 first-floor
windows, the middle one a canted bay with moulded cornice. Sashes, painted
sills and cambered heads. Stepped brick eaves cornice. 2nd floor has
paired sashes. End and ridge stacks. High wall enclosing small covered
rear yard, has boarded door and overlight with cambered held. Lower 2 -
storey rear extension is not of special interest. Built for the "Emma"
lifeboat, 1877-1884. Now houses the "Zetland" lifeboat, the oldest
surviving lifeboat in the world. Included for historical interest.
Listing NGR: NZ6068925161
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings