Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6245 / 52°37'28"N
Longitude: -0.4073 / 0°24'26"W
OS Eastings: 507907
OS Northings: 304162
OS Grid: TF079041
Mapcode National: GBR FW7.KTK
Mapcode Global: WHGM4.Q97B
Entry Name: Walcot Hall
Location: Southorpe, Peterborough, PE9
County: City of Peterborough
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50337
Source ID: 1331241
5141 SOUTHORPE WALCOT
TF 0704 39/537 19.3.62
Circa 1674-8. Walcot Hall has been attributed to John Webb but Webb died
in 1672 and the house was not bought until 1674 by Sir Hugh Cholmley who
pulled the old hall down and built the present house. 1678 date on 2 rainwater
heads. Large ashlar house of 9 by 5 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Collyweston
stone roof, hipped and with heavy modillion eaves cornice and pedimented dormers.
The garden front to west has 3 bay pediment and alternating segmental and
triangular pediments with pulvinated frieze to ground floor windows, and central
doorway with moulded stone architrave, segmental pediment and semi-circular
fanlight. Windows on all elevations have moulded stone architraves and sashes
with glazing bars. The angles have rusticated quoins of equal length. Four
rusticated square chimneys. Later porch on north side with double doors with
pedimental entablature and balustrade to balcony above.
There is a balustraded stone parapet surrounding the basement area bridged
by a flight of steps to west doorway. Interiors Drawing room has C18 plaster
ceiling and marble chimmey piece. Panelled dining room has chimney piece
and over doors. Ball has large reconstructed open well staircase rising full
height of house.
Bridges History of Northants, 1791 Vol II page 498 states that the hall was
in the Browne family till 1662, was then purchased by Bernard Walcot who sold
it circa 1674 to Sir Hugh Cholmley who pulled the old hall down and built
the present house. His arms are over one of the fireplaces. It soon passed
to Hon Sydney Montague and circa 1770 was sold to John Nash, youngest son
of Lord Campden.
VCH Northants Vol II.
Listing NGR: TF0790704162
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings