History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Girton College

A Grade II* Listed Building in Girton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2282 / 52°13'41"N

Longitude: 0.0843 / 0°5'3"E

OS Eastings: 542450

OS Northings: 260932

OS Grid: TL424609

Mapcode National: GBR L71.B3R

Mapcode Global: VHHK2.D8X7

Entry Name: Girton College

Location: Girton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB3

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Parish: Girton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Listing Date: 14 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 50818

Source ID: 1331334

Listing Text

TL 46SW GIRTON HUNTINGDON ROAD
(West Side)

8/72 Girton College

GV II*


College by Alfred Waterhouse. 1873 with additions of 1876, 1883
and 1886. Red brick, English bond, with black mortar courses
and terracotta details to windows, doorways and eaves. Steeply
pitched roofs of patterned tiles with crested ridge tiles. Tall
ridge stacks. Original plan of sets of rooms with corridor
access. In Neo-Tudor style. Two storeys and attics. Pointed
arches to hung sashes with plate glass, in segmental heads.
Parapetted, five stage gatehouse tower of 1886-7 over vaulted
carriageway entry. In 1891 Paul Waterhouse, his son, joined the
partnership. Cloister Court, including the dining hall, chapel
and part of Woodlands Court was built in 1900-02 in a similar
style. The rest of Woodlands Court and the library were
completed in 1931-2 by Michael Waterhouse, the grandson, with Sir
Giles Gilbert Scott as consultant. Paler red brick, English
bond with steeply pitched tiled roofs. Stone surrounds and four
centred arches to casements and doorways. Interior: The dining
hall has a hammer-beam roof and original light fittings and the
library a roof of king-post construction and arch bracing to the
tie beams.
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.190
Dixon and Muthesius. Victorian Architecure


Listing NGR: TL4245060932

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.