This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2057 / 52°12'20"N
Longitude: 0.1155 / 0°6'55"E
OS Eastings: 544658
OS Northings: 258499
OS Grid: TL446584
Mapcode National: GBR L79.L1P
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.YTFG
Entry Name: Trinity Hall, the Buildings Surrounding Front Court, with the West Range of South Court, the Masters Lodge and the Library
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47285
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
District Council Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Edward King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Court, with the West
Range of South Court,
the Master's Lodge
and the Library
TL 4458 NE 3/302 26.4.50.
TL 4458 SE 6/302
Front Court Entirely of the second half of C14, except for the East Range
(q.v.), and thus the largest enclosed court of its age and the earliest
to include a Chapel. Building was begun circa 1350. Some alterations
are recorded from the C16, but major improvements began in the early C18
and culminated in the ashlaring, Classicing and otherwise modernizing of
the entire court in 1741-3, probably to the designs of James Burrough.
Sash windows were inserted throughout, the interiors were modernized and
the whole re-roofed in slate.
East Range Originally of the late C14 and C18 but burnt out in 1852 and
rebuilt by A Salvin. The stone and door surrounds were re-used and the
C18 design repeated with the addition of another storey. The interior
retains no features earlier than 1852.
South Range One and two storeys in attics under a continuous roof. The
three bays with the central passage project slightly. Sash windows with
glazing bars. The external features of the Chapel are C18 and C19. Internally
it has a fine plaster ceiling of segmental barrel form. The fittings of
interest include C16 brasses, a lectern of circa 1730, some early C17 panelling,
marble paving 1729-30, oak reredos 1730, reset in 1864. Screen, panelling
and stalls 1730.
West Range One storey and two storeys with attics under a continuous roof;
the second storey being added between 1560 and 1584. The Hall was extended
in 1890-1 when the C18 ceiling was destroyed. The octagonal timber cupola
with lead covered dorme is of 1743-5. The Hall is of six bays with a late
C19 hammerbeam roof. Mid C18 fireplace and screen. The Library-Annexe
has fielded panelling of 1730-1 and a fireplace surround of the same date.
North Range Two storeys and attics. The interior was completely gutted
in 1928-9. The interior has medieval, C18 and modern features, and a particularly
varied fenestation. The interior has a number of re-set features from
different periods. Dr Eden's Room has a three-bay timber ceiling of circa
1500, and is lined with oak panelling of circa 1625. Overmantel of circa
1625 with a Roman Doric order. Another room has oak fielded panelling
and fireplace of 1725-30.
West Range 1823. Grey brick. 3 storeys, slate roof. Stone copings and
cills, and plain parapet. Sash windows with glazing bars; semi-circular
headed doorways. The interior is quite plain.
Master's Lodge In appearance a modern building except for one late Cl6
gabled bay on the North end of the West front. The original C14 Lodge
was extended in the C16, improved in 1804 and 1822, the South wing was
rebuilt in 1823, the whole was enlarged and part rebuilt by A Salvin in
1852, and again altered and refronted in 1890-2 by Grayson and Ould
Library Range. circa l584. 2 storeys. Red brick with stone dressings,
tiled roof. The ground floor has five two and three-light stone mullioned
windows, the first floor eight one and two light of similar type. Stepped
gables. Internally the ground floor was remodelled in 1863 and 1935. The
Library above has a plain plaster ceiling and five late C16 bookcases with
contemporary seats. (RCHM).
Listing NGR: TL4465858498
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings