History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Longwick-cum-Ilmer, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7194 / 51°43'9"N

Longitude: -0.8526 / 0°51'9"W

OS Eastings: 479356

OS Northings: 202919

OS Grid: SP793029

Mapcode National: GBR C2Q.18K

Mapcode Global: VHDVQ.51LR

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332032

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46364

Location: Longwick-cum-Ilmer, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Longwick-cum-Ilmer

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Bledlow with Saunderton and Horsenden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Saunderton

Listing Text

SP 70 SE LONGWICK-CUM-ILMER HORSENDEN

4/93 Church of St. Michael
and All Angels

21.6.55.

GV II*

Parish church. C15 chancel, restored and extended to E. C19. Nave
demolished and replaced by small W. tower 1765. Tower is of semi-
dressed stone with flint galleting; chancel flint with stone dressings.
Lead roofs. Tower is of 2 stages with battlemented parapet, arched
openings to bell-chamber and 2-light traceried window over it, door.
All tower openings have Tudor hoodmoulds. Chancel has diagonal
buttresses, chamfered plinth and moulded parapet, each side with a
central carved gargoyle, reworked C19. 2 bays of 3-light Perpendicular
windows, those to S. restored c.1980 in plastic stone. Similar E.
window completely restored C19. Interior: small arch to tower;
blocked squint to S.; piscina with hollow-chamfered arch; C19 sedilia
and roof. Fittings: early C16 screen, restored,with cusped open
panels, the spandrels carved with rosettes and lion-heads, now set
against W. wall; C19 reredos, octagonal font and stained glass; some
reset medieval floor tiles. Monuments: Marble wall tablets to
Bashewell Grubb 1666, John Grubb 1700 and Anne Grubb, a Huguenot exile,
1721.

RCHM I p.205-6


Listing NGR: SP7935602919

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.