This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2039 / 52°12'13"N
Longitude: 0.1239 / 0°7'25"E
OS Eastings: 545235
OS Northings: 258308
OS Grid: TL452583
Mapcode National: GBR L79.VHM
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.3VBW
Entry Name: Emmanuel College, Buildings Surrounding Front and New Courts and the Brick Building
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332193
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47135
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
District Council Ward: Market
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Cambridge
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Front and New Courts,
and the 'Brick' Building.
TL 4558 SW 7/259 26.4.50.
West Range 1769-75. By James Essex. Ionic tetrastyle portico with entrance
gateway flanked by higher ranges. Ashlar, the east front has an arcaded
walk of 11 bays. Plain contemporary interior features. Iron gate 1775.
East Range and Chapel 1668-77. By Christopher Wren. Cloister with gallery
over and Chapel behind. Ashlar. The Chapel interior has very fine contemporary
woodwork designed by Pierce and Oliver and made by Cornelius Austin. Organ
case circa 1730. Reredos 1687 with painting by Jacopo Amigoni 1734. Fine
plaste ceiling by John Grove. The Cloister Gallery is lined with contemporary
bolection moulded panelling.
North range and Hall Part of the Founder's Buildings of 1584-89 but including
earlier work from the Friary of C14 date, and much altered in C18 and later.
Ketton stone ashlar. Facing by James Essex. The Combination and Lecture
Rooms have mid-C18 fielded panelling, the oriel window added by Sir A W
Blomfield in 1876. The Hall was fitted 1760-4 by James Essex and given
a plaster ceiling, the C16 timber roof survives above. Reredos and screen
of 1694, wrought-iron screen gates 1762. C16 and C17 stained glass.
Westmorland Building 1719-22, damaged by fire in 1811 and rebuilt. Ashlar,
with south front of red brick. 3 storeys, 19 bays. Interior fittings
all post-fire except for 3 early Cl8 staircases.
East Range and old chapel 1584-9, altered in 1838. Converted to the Library
in 1679 and to an extra Dining Hall 1930-2 by George Drysdale. Original
West Range 1584-9, remodelled externally in the Tudor style in the early
North Range 1824, by James Webster. In the Tudor style. Unaltered internally.
The 'Brick' Building 1632-4. Built by John Westley, bricklayer, and Henry
Man, carpenter. Brick with stone dressings.3 storeys and attics. C19
dormer windows. C17 and C18 internal features.
(All buildings fully described in RCHM.)
Listing NGR: TL4523558308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings