History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House and Attached Garden Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8808 / 51°52'50"N

Longitude: -0.8367 / 0°50'12"W

OS Eastings: 480170

OS Northings: 220888

OS Grid: SP801208

Mapcode National: GBR C0S.57X

Mapcode Global: VHDTR.GZ1K

Entry Name: The Old House and Attached Garden Walls

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332786

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42341

Location: Whitchurch, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Whitchurch

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch with Creslow

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Mursley

Listing Text

SP 8020 WHITCHURCH CHURCH HEADLAND LANE

9/193 The Old House and attached
garden walls

25.10.51

GV II*


House. C15, altered C17 and late 1930s and 1940s. Coursed rubble stone,
old tile roof, brick chimneys rebuilt with square shafts set diagonally,
2 to rear of it, wing original. 2 storeys. C17 L-plan house had 3 bays
to N., the outer bays gabled, the centre bay having a timber framed and
jettied first floor. Left gable removed c. 1940 and house extended to
left with new gabled and jettied bays symmetrically matching the original
part. Leaded mullion and transom casements, most replaced C20. Right
bay has 3-light casements. Original centre bay has similar casement to
ground floor and 2 3-light casements with central arched transoms to first
floor. This bay also has a C15 2-centred arched doorway to right with
carved stone head above. Another carved head on stone bracket below
left end of jetty. Original left bay, now in centre, has had similar
arched doorway inserted C20, with flanking slit windows, 2-light casement
above, and curved braces supporting overhanging roof. S. front has also
been much altered and has symmetrical projecting outer bays, both with
shaped brick gables, that to left C17. Interior: altered and embellished
with reproduction or old C16-C17 beams, panelling, doors and 4-centred
stone arches. In the original part the hall has 2 wide fireplaces, and a
row of 4 2-centred stone arches in W. wall, the outer arches rebated for
doors, the inner arches with ovolo mouldings. 4-centred arch in same
wall leads to C17 staircase with turned balusters, moulded handrail and
panelled newel posts. Ground floor room in S.W. corner has moulded cross
beams. One doorway on ground floor has 4-centred stone arch with carved.
spandrels. On the first floor there are 2 fireplaces with similar arches,
and roofs with curved wind-braces and queen strut trusses, one on a
moulded tie beam. Rubble stone wall round garden, part with tiled coping.
(RCHM II p. 325-6 Mon.4, illustrated opposite p.317)


Listing NGR: SP8017020888

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.