History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Five Arch Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Wotton Underwood, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8379 / 51°50'16"N

Longitude: -1.0174 / 1°1'2"W

OS Eastings: 467796

OS Northings: 215929

OS Grid: SP677159

Mapcode National: GBR 9ZM.MMH

Mapcode Global: VHDV1.92ZF

Entry Name: Five Arch Bridge

Listing Date: 26 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42554

Location: Wotton Underwood, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Wotton Underwood

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wotton Underwood

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Boarstall

Listing Text

SP 61 NE WOTTON UNDERWOOD WOTTON HOUSE

3/173 Five Arch Bridge

-

II
Dam with overflow and ornamental bridge. Probaby built circa 1758-60,
to a design by Sanderson Miller, who is known to have designed a bridge
for George Grenville in 1758. The structure is modelled on William Kent’s Shell Bridge at Stowe.
Coursed rubble and fossiled stone with ashlar dressings.
Piers have ashlar plinths, quoins and pedimented
copings. Ashlar band along top of bridge, no parapet. 5 segmental
arches, the central arch slightly projecting with pediment to west
side, the east side damaged. This arch has overflow channel to lower
lake. Bridge curves outwards at each end. Below bridge on east side dam
has matching stone facing with blind arches flanking central overflow arch.

The historic designed landscape surrounding an early-C18 country house, with a contemporary layout, probably by George London and Henry Wise, developed into an extensive mid-C18 park for George Grenville by Lancelot Brown; William Pitt, later first Earl of Chatham, is credited with significant input with regard to the design.


Listing NGR: SP6779615929

The List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 10 August 2016 as part of the tercentenary celebrations of Lancelot Capability Brown's birth.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.