Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8628 / 50°51'46"N
Longitude: -4.114 / 4°6'50"W
OS Eastings: 251319
OS Northings: 109162
OS Grid: SS513091
Mapcode National: GBR KN.TX7H
Mapcode Global: FRA 268T.H1K
Entry Name: Church of St Petrock
Location: Petrockstow, Torridge, Devon, EX20
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91029
Source ID: 1333084
SS 50 NW
8/55 Church of St Petrock
Parish church. C14 aisle and C15 tower, the rest rebuilt in 1878 - 80 by J. F.
Gould. architect and Hedland and Grant of Torrington, builders. Roughly coursed
stone rubble walls with granite quoins to tower. Gable-ended slate roofs.
Plan: nave, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. The church was
largely rebuilt in 1878 - 80 apart from the C15 tower and C14 north arcade as well
as some re-used features from the earlier church which suggest a Norman origin.
Exterior: 3-stage crenellated tower with obelisk finials and diagonal buttresses.
Segmental arched belfry lights. 4-centre arched granite west doorway with roll and
hollow moulding. West window is currently (1987) boarded up. North aisle has 3-
light Perpendicular window at west end, 2 very large Perpendicular style restored
windows and a smaller Decorated style window on the north wall. Buttresses between
windows and at either end. Lean-to C19 vestry in angle with chancel has shouldered
head doorway on north wall. 3-light C19 Decorated style east window with buttresses
to either side and below. Similar 2-light window on south side of chancel and
taller one at east end of south aisle. South wall also has similar style windows
apart from C15 style square-headed window to east of porch. Gabled south porch set
in angle between nave and west end of south aisle has coping to gable terminating in
cross finial with image niche below and 4-centred chamfered arch.
Interior: probably re-used C14 pointed arch south doorway. C14 arcade to north
aisle has octagonal piers with tall pointed double chamfered arches springing from
chamfered capitals. C19 arch beyond arcade dividing chancel from organ chamber.
South arcade is imitation of north arcade. Tower arcn has 4-centred double
cnamfered head and rubble piers.
Restored wagon roofs to nave, aisles and chancel. 5-sided pulpit dated 1631 with
panelled sides and strapwork carved at the top of each.
In chancel is Norman pedestal piscina hollowed from a cushion capital witn circular
shaft. Norman square font with central column and 4 corner shafts with arcading and
flower head decoration to sides. C16 pyramidal ornately carved and'crocketted font
Old glass in vestry window depicts heraldic shields connected with Yeo of Heanton
Satchville in the parish. Other glass by Kempe.
Sources: White's Directory - 1878; Beatrix Cresswell: Churches in the Deanery of
Listing NGR: SS5131909162
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings