History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hawkesdale Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dalston, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8203 / 54°49'13"N

Longitude: -2.9748 / 2°58'29"W

OS Eastings: 337464

OS Northings: 547710

OS Grid: NY374477

Mapcode National: GBR 7DNP.RV

Mapcode Global: WH80G.83PH

Entry Name: Hawkesdale Hall

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335649

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78323

Location: Dalston, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Dalston

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Raughton Head All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dalston

Listing Text

NY 34 NE DALSTON Hawkesdale

10/137
Hawkesdale Hall

G.V.
II*

House. Late C17 with addition dated and inscribed over rear entrance 1704 J. &
M.N. (Nicholson). Painted rendered walls,with V-jointed quoins and heavily
moulded cornice,on chamfered painted plinth. Graduated greenslate roof;painted
stone chimney stacks. Extension: painted render over brick; graduated slate
roof; large square painted stone chimney stack. 3 storeys, 5 bays; 2-storey,
3-bay extension to right. C20 door with glazed fanlight in painted roll moulded
architrave with pulvinated frieze. Early C19 glazed wooden porch with panelled
pilasters and radial fanlight. Sash windows with broad glazing bars in painted
chamfered surrounds under moulded cornices. Yorkshire sash windows in chamfered
painted surrounds on second floor. Newcastle fire insurance company mark over
entrance. Interior: Late C17 staircase for full 3 storeys with barley-twist
balusters and broad moulded handrail. Ground floor room right of hall has
heavily carved and moulded C18 stone fireplace; flanking panelled cupboard to
right and half-domed shelved recess to left, all in eared architraves. Room
left of hall has panelled plaster ceiling. Panelled doors throughout. Late C17
wooden panelled first floor bedroom. Extension: 2- & 3-light stone-mullioned
windows in chamfered stone surrounds. Known as Hawkesdale Low House in 1694
when John Nicholson, brother of the Bishop of Carlisle, was the owner. His son
Joseph, resident in the house until his death, was joint author with Dr Richard
Burn of a History of Westmorland and Cumberland published in 1777. See
Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new
series, lv, pp345-6.


Listing NGR: NY3746447710

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.