This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2534 / 51°15'12"N
Longitude: 1.1365 / 1°8'11"E
OS Eastings: 618962
OS Northings: 155148
OS Grid: TR189551
Mapcode National: GBR TYK.658
Mapcode Global: VHLGN.NR5H
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171357
Location: Bekesbourne-with-Patrixbourne, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/10/2011
R 1855 28/466
Church of St Mary
Chancel, nave with aisles and tower in the centre of the south aisle, its ground
floor forming a porch, with a broached shingled spire above it. Knapped flint.
Rare and good east wheel window with cylindrical spokes. The chancel, the
nave, the tower and the south aisle to the west of the tower are late C12
(the spire (Cl3) and contain an especially fine Norman south doorway and a
good Norman priests' doorway. But they were rather drastically restored at
the expense of the first Marchioness Conyngham, the chancel in 1849 (architect
Mr Marshall of Canterbury) the nave, tower and aisle in 1857 (architect Sir
George Gilbert Scott). The east end of the south aisle (the Bifrons Chapel)
was rebuilt in the Cl5. The north aisle was added in 1824. Some of the windows
have C16 and Cl7 Swiss glass given to the church by Lady Conyngham in 1837.
Body stones in the churchyard.
Listing NGR: TR1896055150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings