Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1626 / 51°9'45"N
Longitude: 0.2519 / 0°15'6"E
OS Eastings: 557551
OS Northings: 142784
OS Grid: TQ575427
Mapcode National: GBR MPK.4GH
Mapcode Global: VHHQD.B10K
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Location: Southborough, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN4
District: Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 27 October 1950
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169307
Source ID: 1338653
SOUTHBOROUGH THE COMMON
(north west side)
Church of St Peter
Originally small-scale brick structure seating 500 built in 1830 by Decimus
Burton for John Deacon for whom Burton was extending Mabledon Park. Yellow-
brick and sandstone. Extended 1883 by Ewan Christian, who added the unusual
west-work of town and spire flanked by 2-storey projections, (porches and stair-
cases). Clerestoried chancel, buttresses and geometrical tracery inserted into
Burton's wide lancets, also of this date. 5 bay nave. 2 pairs of quatrefoil
windows in each side of chancel clerestorey. West gallery. See Philip Miller,
Decimus Burton, 1800-81,Exhib Cat, Building Centre, London, 1981,29.
Listing NGR: TQ5755142784
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings