Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.904 / 50°54'14"N
Longitude: -1.3743 / 1°22'27"W
OS Eastings: 444093
OS Northings: 111799
OS Grid: SU440117
Mapcode National: GBR RVY.3T
Mapcode Global: FRA 860Q.8FF
Entry Name: Jesus Chapel - St Mary Extra
Location: Southampton, SO19
County: City of Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Listing Date: 14 July 1953
Last Amended: 8 October 1981
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135880
Source ID: 1339992
1. PEARTREE ROAD
5239 Peartree Green
Jesus Chapel -
St Mary Extra
(formerly listed as
SU 41 SW 10/188 Church of St Mary Extra)
This was built as Jesus Chapel in 1620 to serve that part of the old Parish
of St Mary, Southampton ('St Mary Extra') which lay across the Itchen. It
was the first church to be consecrated in Southampton after the Reformation.
Built of rubble, the only part of the original building remaining is the centre
west gable having diagonal buttresses a dressed coping crowned by a small
gabled bell turret, rectangular opening and one bell. On the south return
wall of the gable is an early C17 stone mullioned window with a rectangular
head and pointed arched lights. In 1822 a west porch and south transept were
added in ashlar by E. Burrough and J. Ede. The windows are flat-headed Neo-Tudor.
In 1846 a north aisle was added, in 1866 an east aisle, and a new chancel
and south chapel in 1883. The church is plain inside and retains complete
its early C19 plain panelled oak pews. Early C19 wall monuments.
Listing NGR: SU4389011604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings