This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6879 / 51°41'16"N
Longitude: -2.3925 / 2°23'32"W
OS Eastings: 372965
OS Northings: 198865
OS Grid: ST729988
Mapcode National: GBR 0LS.1Y7
Mapcode Global: VH951.HT1Y
Entry Name: Church of St Cyr
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340554
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131537
Location: Stinchcombe, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stinchcombe St Cyr
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 79 NW STINCHCOMBE ECHO LANE
3/96 (south side)
Church of St Cyr
Anglican parish church. Part C15 but largely as rebuilt in Decorated style in 1855;
J L Pearson architect for the rebuilding. Cotswold limestone, stone slate roofs to
coped gables with terminal crosses. Nave, chancel, south aisle, 2-storey north porch,
3-stage west tower with octagonal spire as rebuilt in 1882 after lightning strike.
Twoer with diagonal buttresses and crocketted pinnacles and pierced parapet, 2-light
bell-stage openings of 1632 over statue niche, 3-light perpendicular window, and west
door under drip; stair turret south side. Porch with blank parapet with rosettes in
quatrefoils, 2-light C15 window; main doors pair oak plank in hollow plus wave mould
arch under string. Rebuilt fabric in C14 style with 2-light windows to nave and
aisle, 3-light to chancel, but 5-light east chancel, rose with quatrefoil cusping over
2 cusped lancets east end of aisle, and 3-light west end of aisle.
Interior: 4 bay nave, quatrefoil piers and double-chamfered arcade, arch braced steep
pitched roof, 5 steps down to tower; lierne vault with bosses and central quatrefoil
springing from foliate capitals, in porch. Triple pedimented reredos, the Last
Supper, with 2 supporters each side, wooden altar rail, stone screen east end of
aisle, to organ chamber and vestry; quarry tile floors, good encaustic pattern by
Minton, based on mediaeval tiles. Chancel windows by Wailes, nave and aisle by
Clayton and Bell, a consistent series. Baroque wall memorial, 1715, n side chancel,
and white marble memorial to JOHN PINFOLD, 1705, north side nave.
Listing NGR: ST7296598865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings