Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7324 / 51°43'56"N
Longitude: -2.275 / 2°16'29"W
OS Eastings: 381104
OS Northings: 203783
OS Grid: SO811037
Mapcode National: GBR 0LC.7NK
Mapcode Global: VH94X.JQ58
Entry Name: Beech House
Location: King's Stanley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Parish: King's Stanley
Locality: King's Stanley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131885
Source ID: 1340641
SO 8103 KING'S STANLEY CHURCH STREET
13/11 Beech House
Detached house. Early C18, refronted c1770 by Anthony Keck.
Flemish bond red brick, roughcast rendered on front elevation;
ashlar dressings; brick chimneys; plain tile roofs. Two-storey
with attic and cellars; two 2-storey rear wings. Attached small
former cottage at south end and outbuildings at north end screened
by high walls extending from facade. Front: 5-window 12-pane sash
fenestration with segmental arches. Central doorway with large
moulded flat porch hood on moulded brackets; double 3-panel doors
with large fanlight. Plain band at upper floor level. Moulded
stone parapet cornice Two flat-roofed attic dormers with small-
paned casements. Chimney at each gable end. Rear: 2 gabled
wings, right appearing to be in earlier brickwork and part of
original house. Single-window fenestration to right wing: 2-light
chamfered stone-mullioned cellar opening, C20 casements above with
segmental-arched heads. C19 fenestration to left gable. Infill
between wings has panelled door with rectangular light over and
upper floor casement. Chimneys to both wings. Alternating stone
quoins. Lean-to former bakery at north end.
Interior is probably mostly by Keck. One ground floor room fully
panelled with fluted Doric pilasters to chimneypiece. Dentil
enrichment to fireplace and ceiling cornice. Adam style plaster
frieze in another room. Staircase with turned pilasters and swept
handrails. Was home of Anthony Keck until his death in 1797.
Boundary wall with terminal piers to east (q.v.).
(H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-
1840, 1978; N.M. Herbert, 'King's Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos x,
1972, pp 242-257; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds,
Listing NGR: SO8110403783
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings