History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alderley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Alderley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6152 / 51°36'54"N

Longitude: -2.3363 / 2°20'10"W

OS Eastings: 376812

OS Northings: 190765

OS Grid: ST768907

Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.Q4Y

Mapcode Global: VH95G.GN8M

Entry Name: Alderley House

Location: Alderley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Parish: Alderley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Listing Date: 9 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132166

Source ID: 1340687

Listing Text

ST 79 SE
8/22

ALDERLEY,
ALDERLEY VILLAGE

Alderley House (Formerly listed as Rose Hill School)

II

Country house,1860 on rainwater heads in front,
said to be by Lewis Vulliamy. Ashlar, Cotswold stone slate roof,
stone stacks with multiple polygonal ashlar shafts with moulded
cornices. Jacobethan style. Double range U-plan block with single
storey porch forming E. 2-storeys and attic. Entrance front has
central stepped gable with pinnacles, with smaller gables flanking
and facing in on wings. Main block of 5 bays with end wings
projecting forward 2 bays, stone mullion and transom windows with
continuous dripmould on each floor. Central bay has canted bay of 5
lights with 2 additional side lights and parapet with dolphin (?)
motif and initials RBH. Projecting forward from canted bay is
single storey porch with diamond-pierced parapet and off-set angle
buttresses with pinnacles over. Double timber doors with
"strapwork" panelling. On inner face of wings, single storey
projecting bay also with diamond pierced parapet. Decorative
rainwater heads flanking porch and on each wing with date 1860 and
heron motif. Garden facade has 3 large gables, central Dutch
gable with flanking stepped gables, and 2 small gables between. 2
end bays are canted and have coat of arms on parapets; central bay
is square and projects to form continuous unit with dormer and
gable above.

Used as a school (known as Rose Hill School) from 1939, and converted back into a private residence in 2009.

Listing NGR: ST7681290765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.