This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1658 / 51°9'56"N
Longitude: 1.2374 / 1°14'14"E
OS Eastings: 626430
OS Northings: 145710
OS Grid: TR264457
Mapcode National: GBR W0Z.TXR
Mapcode Global: VHLH3.DYHP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary church of St Mary Virgin
Listing Date: 22 August 1962
Last Amended: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342746
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178614
Location: Lydden, Dover, Kent, CT15
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 24 NE LYDDEN CHURCH LANE
2/85 Church of
22.8.62 St. Mary (formerly
listed as Church
of St Mary Virgin)
Parish Church. C12 origin, now largely C13, restored 1866, 1868-9 and
1899. Flint with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with west tower and
south porch. Single stage tower, the top stage removed after C16 earth-
quake damage, with clasping buttresses and brick eaves cornice to low
tiled spire, and blocked belfry windows. Small single lights on ground
floor with trefoil heads carved from single block, C13 south porch
with chamfered outer door and roll moulded inner doorway with attached
shafts, and medieval ogee-shaped door. Chancel stepped in from nave,
with corner buttresses to nave and chancel. East wall rebuilt Cl9.
Lancets throughout. Interior: C19 chamfered doorway to tower. Blocked
stop-chamfered north doorway, tall and narrow. Two chamfered. elliptical
recesses in north wall, the easternmost with a low window inset, and 2
on south wall, with crude enrichment of figures, flower ornament,
attached shafts and cusping; utilised or intended as tomb recesses for
the Monyns family. Blocked and truncated semi-circular arch in extreme
south east of nave with small round-headed lancet on east wall C19
trussed rafter roof. Chancel arch of 1866, and C19 chancel roof. Two
hollow chamfered elliptical recesses on south wall, integral with double
sedilia. Simple trefoiled piscina in chancel. Fittings all C19.
(BOE Kent II, 1983,375).
Listing NGR: TR2620645497
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings