This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3473 / 52°20'50"N
Longitude: -1.1378 / 1°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 458828
OS Northings: 272490
OS Grid: SP588724
Mapcode National: GBR 8QY.TBJ
Mapcode Global: VHCV0.78BC
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361003
Location: Crick, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Crick
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Crick St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CRICK CHURCH STREET
SP5872 (East side)
11/115 Church of St. Marqaret
Church. C14-C15, incorporating C12 work, restored in 1840 by R.C. Hussey.
Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, coursed squared ironstone and sandstone
tower, tile and lead roofs. Chancel and north sacristy, aisled nave and south
porch, west tower. 5-light window with flowing tracery in east wall of chancel,
two 4-light windows with flowing tracery in north wall and priests doorway with
crocketed ogee hood in south wall flanked by 4-light windows with flowing
tracery. Circular low-side window (blocked) to left bay. 5-light east window to
south aisle has tracery with a large roundel framed by mouchettes. Windows to
south aisle east of porch, all 3-light with cinquefoil motif in the tracery.
3-light window with Reticulated tracery west of porch and 3-light west window
with cinquefoil tracery. Perpendicular south porch has arch with continuous
hollow mouldings. C19 inner doorway with 7-panel door. West tower of 3 stages
with broach spire and gabled lucarnes with ball-flower decoration. C19 west
window to north aisle. C14 three-light window with Intersecting tracery to west
of north doorway. C14 north doorway has arch with continuous mouldings. Three
3-light windows with flowing tracery to east, 4-light east window with mouchette
tracery and hood with large head stops. Interior: 5-bay nave arcades. The south
arcade incorporates Early English work and has responds with stiff leaf capitals
to the west. The two octagonal east piers and the double-chamfered arches are
Decorated. Similar octagonal piers and double chamfered arches to north arcade.
Perpendicular clerestory and roof to nave. Decorated sedilia and piscina in the
chancel, with crocketed ogee canopies. Doorway to sacristy has crocketed ogee
arch with large head stops. The chancel windows have double label stops carved
with figures, exotic beasts and foliage. The shield on label stop of south-west
window has coat of arms of Thomas de Astley. The chancel arch has large head
stops of a bishop and a king. Stone corbels to nave roof include reused C12
beasts' heads. Romanesque sandstone font, the base formed by three crouching
figures supporting a circular bawl carved all over with bead decoration. Stone
effigy of a woman c.1300, badly eroded, fragments of Flemish C16 stained glass
in north aisle window. Reused Jacobean panelling in the aisles. The organ was
built for the Chapel Royal at St. James's Palace in 1829, and not proving
satisfactory it was later sold and installed here. Parson's Hutch, in the south
aisle, a sentry box like structure formerly used to shelter the parson at
funerals, probably C18-C19, The Church is said to have been remodelled for Sir
Thomas de Astley in C14.
(Buildings of England; Northamptonshire, p.169).
Listing NGR: SP5882872490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings