This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2743 / 51°16'27"N
Longitude: 0.8161 / 0°48'57"E
OS Eastings: 596522
OS Northings: 156556
OS Grid: TQ965565
Mapcode National: GBR RV8.34N
Mapcode Global: VHKK1.379H
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343974
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176417
Location: Eastling, Swale, Kent, ME13
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 95 NE EASTLING SCHOOL LANE
4/13 Church of
Parish Church. C13 nave and chancel with C12 details, C14
chapel, restored 1855-6 by R.C.Hussey. Flint with plain tiled
roofs and slate spire. Nave and aisles, chancel with south
chapel, south-western tower and west porch. Reset west C12
doorway, the moulded surrounds with railhead and keel roll on
attached and clasped shafts with acanthine capitals and billet
moulded hood-mould. C19 flint porch. Two storey south-west
tower with heavy offset buttresses, that to south-east rebuilt
in brick. Round-headed belfry lights. Partially restored C15
Perpendicular fenestration except C14 bar tracery windows in
south chapel and 2 C13 lancets in chancel north wall with 2
blocked quatrefoils in chancel east wall. North nave aisle
entirely C19, with vestry to north west. Interior: nave with 3
bay arcade and 1 unarcaded western bay. The chamfered arches
carried on round piers were re-constructed by Hussey, either
re-using or copying exactly the moulded capitals, different in
each case. C19 roof of 4 trussed crown posts. Double
chamfered C19 chancel arch. South aisle with C14 chamfered arch
to south chapel. South chapel of St. Katherine with 3 tie-
beams exposed in roof, and 2 bay double hollow chamfered arcade
to chancel, on hollowed octagonal piers. Chancel wall heavily
battered and thicker in west bay, with 2 C13 lancets to north,
and C13 roll-moulded reveal to C19 inserted east window.
Waggon roof. Fittings: C13 trefoil-headed triple sedilia and
piscina in chancel on colonnettes, deeply moulded capitals and
mouldings under continuous hood mould. Double aumbry on north
chancel wall, and 4 chamfered trefoil headed recesses on carved
corbels and brackets, possibly choir or musicians' stalls.
C19 box pews with brass triple candle holders, and C19 font.
Late C17 wooden parish chest. Glass: 1863 in chancel lancet by
Powell and Sons. Monuments: in chancel, wall plaque to
William Wickens, d.1718. Black rectangular field with latin
inscription, with white marble surround and cartouche over, on
base with cherub's head and motto. In the south chapel, standing
wall monument to Martin James, d.1592. A knight and 2 sons kneel
opposite a reading desk, the wife and 2 daughters face them.
Architectural surround with cornice on Corinthian columns,
carrying obelisks and central achievement. The whole carved on
small but detailed scale. [See BOE KENT II, 1983 (p306).)
Listing NGR: TQ9626356518
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings