This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3434 / 51°20'36"N
Longitude: 1.4213 / 1°25'16"E
OS Eastings: 638368
OS Northings: 166033
OS Grid: TR383660
Mapcode National: GBR X0F.L67
Mapcode Global: VHMCW.LH7J
Entry Name: Cemetery Chapels
Listing Date: 4 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348349
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171713
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 36 NE RAMSGATE CECILIA ROAD
Cemetery chapels. Designed in 1869 and finished in 1872 by George Gilbert Scott junior in Late Gothic style for o6000 for the Ramsgate Burial Board.. Some late C20 fittings to Eastern chapel. Flint with stone dressings and plaintiled roof. Chapels east and west of central tower in symmetrical composition with asymmetrical windows. Eastern Chapel with square headed Decorated style windows and 4 light arched window to East. The western chapel has pointed windows with similar west window. Tower with square headed window to north, pointed to south (the distinction being pointed for the Anglican chapel, square headed for the Non Conformist. Two stage tower with offset buttresses, and south-eastern square turret, with 2 light belfry openings and battlements. Tiled roof and weathervane. Arched doorways to each chapel, on south with plank and stud doors. The western chapel now used as store rooms (a later separate chapel built elsewhere) but contains original furnishing which include college type pews and brick floor. Eastern chapel now used as a Remembrance Chapel and has 3 bay roof with kingpost, tiebeams and arched braces. Late C20 wood and glazed internal porch and brick floor. This was George Gilbert Scott junior's first work in Late Gothic and is of great importance in the reaction from High' Victorian Gothic towards Late Gothic, Englishness and Refinement. The Chairman of the Ramsgate Burial Board, the Rev Charles Carus Wilson, Vicar of ramsgate was a future client of Scott's in Leamington. (St Mark's New Milverton, and Vicarage.) [See Homan, Victorian Churches of Kent, 83].
Listing NGR: TR3869865767
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings