This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4237 / 52°25'25"N
Longitude: -2.1059 / 2°6'21"W
OS Eastings: 392896
OS Northings: 280634
OS Grid: SO928806
Mapcode National: GBR 2DX.2D7
Mapcode Global: VH91Q.GB2W
Entry Name: The Castle About 3/4 Mile East of Hagley Castle
Listing Date: 23 November 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 156390
Location: Hagley, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, DY9
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Hagley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 98 SW HAGLEY CP HAGLEY PARK
2/127 The Castle about ¾ mile
east of Hagley Hall
Ruined castle folly. Begun in 1747 by Sanderson Miller for George, First
Lord Lyttleton, with mid-C19 additions and late C20 alterations. Sandstone
ashlar and coursed dressed sandstone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings;
slate roofs. Rectangular plan with four round corner towers; only the north-
west tower is complete and is of four storeys; the other towers are of one or
two storeys and left in a deliberately ruinous state. Gothick style. The
north-west tower has small rectangular and lancet (some are cusped) windows
on the lower floors; the fourth floor has large pointed windows. Adjoining
to the south-east is an intersecting taller stair turret; both tower and
turret have corbelled and embattled parapets. The other towers have small
rectangular and square openings. The linking walls are deliberately ruinous
but the west wall is almost complete and has three tall pointed windows; beneath
the central window is a pointed doorway and above the doorway are three shield
reliefs. Interior: the principal room on the fourth floor of the north-west
tower has a domed ceiling with Gothick plaster decoration, cusped pointed
niches alternating with the windows and above the door is a quatrefoil con-
taining a coat of arms. Within the courtyard, adjacent to the north-west
tower is a C19 building with a shallow-pitched hipped slate roof; single
storey; single bay; in the south elevation is a 3-light casement with a 4-
centred head and latticed lights and, to the left, the entrance with a gabled
rustic timber porch. The castle is said to incorporate medieval masonry from
the remains of Halesowen Abbey and is the largest building in Hagley Park.
[CL articles (mainly vol 122, p 545 & 608); VCH 3 (i), p 131; BoE, p 178).
Listing NGR: SO9289680634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings