History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Kentchurch, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9263 / 51°55'34"N

Longitude: -2.8456 / 2°50'44"W

OS Eastings: 341946

OS Northings: 225651

OS Grid: SO419256

Mapcode National: GBR FD.NYK0

Mapcode Global: VH78Q.MVH4

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Location: Kentchurch, County of Herefordshire, HR2

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Kentchurch

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Listing Date: 20 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155544

Source ID: 1348834

Listing Text

KENTCHURCH CP -
SO 42 NW
5/10 Church of St Mary

GV II

Parish church. Rebuilt in 1859 in Decorated style. Sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings; tiled roof. West tower with truncated pyramidal
roof and spire; nave with south porch and chancel with north chapel and
vestry. West tower: three stages with plinth and stepped buttresses,
lancet to second stage, cusped bell openings below spire. Nave with
large 3-light window with two-centred head and flower tracery to
right of gabled porch. Chancel to right with square headed windows
of three and two lights with similar tracery; 3-light windows to east
end with mouchettes. Interior retains the Scudamore monument re-sited
in the north chapel. Commemorates John Scudamore, died 1616, and erected
by his wife, Amy Starkie. Reclining alabaster effigies of man in armour
holding a book and below of a woman in contemporary dress wearing a
widow's veil; flanking the two reclining figures are smaller paired figures
of kneeling children, eight sons and one daughter, and also of an infant
in a cradle. Inscription flanked by shields of arms reads:
"HERE LYETH THE BODY OF JOHN SCVDAMORE OF
KENCHVRCH IN THE COVNTIE OF HEREFORD ESQ .....
.... HE DECEASED ON THE XXXth DAY OF MARCH
ANNO SALVTIS 1616."


Listing NGR: SO4194625651

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.