Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1087 / 52°6'31"N
Longitude: -2.6928 / 2°41'34"W
OS Eastings: 352646
OS Northings: 245825
OS Grid: SO526458
Mapcode National: GBR FM.96NB
Mapcode Global: VH85H.88R9
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Location: Sutton, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 154045
Source ID: 1348978
SO 54 NW SUTTON CP SUTTON ST MICHAEL
4/80 (5/2C) Church of St Michael
Former parish church. Mainly C12, restored c1865 and 1909. Sandstone
rubble, nave roof has plain tiles with stone cross on eastern verge,
chancel roof is stone slate. C17 timber bell-turret with lead sides
and slate roof. Two-bay nave, west bell-turret, two-bay chancel, early
C20 west porch. Chancel: single-light C12 windows, the two to the south
altered into trefoiled ogees in C14. Nave: blocked 2-centred arch,
possibly C13, behind the porch, may have been for access to a projected
west tower; north-east window has ogee headed wooden 'Y' tracery, probably
C18; north-west window has two c1300 trefoil headed lights, between the
two is a blocked C12 single light window at a higher level; two south
windows also each have two trefoiled lights. Interior: barrel roof, plastered.
Chancel arch is round-headed, plastered over and has C18 imposts and key-
stone. Two fonts, one C12 with round bowl, cyclindrical stem and four
carved lions with emphasis on their fur on the base; the other on the
south-east nave window cill, is a small c1645 urn-shaped font with a
gadrooned rim supported by a C15 (?) angel holding a book. At the west
end of the south wall of the nave, striking monument to Elizabeth Cotton,
died 1645; broken pediment supported by barley-sugar columns, inscription
under segmental arch flanked by a pair of female figures, semi-reclining
cadiver beneath. Corbel head, C14 (?), re-set high up on west wall of nave
above C12 font. The parishes of Sutton St Michael and Sutton St Nicholas
were united in 1876. (RCHM, Vol II, p 178).
Listing NGR: SO5264845824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings