This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9236 / 50°55'24"N
Longitude: -1.7948 / 1°47'41"W
OS Eastings: 414515
OS Northings: 113814
OS Grid: SU145138
Mapcode National: GBR 535.3AJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 764N.LL6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 September 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350974
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143947
Location: Fordingbridge, New Forest, Hampshire, SP6
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Fordingbridge
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Fordingbridge St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12 origins, mid C13 rebuilding, adding to chancel
central-south vestry and north-west chapel, and aisles to nave, chapel
shortly after extended to east; in C15 aisles rebuilt with porches and
east tower to north aisle, nave given clerestories; restored 1901-1903 by
C F Ponting, when vestry rebuilt with infill to east. Flint, some
ironstone, ironstone dressings, later Chilmark, tower ashlar, lead and
plain-tile roof. Plan of chancel with north chapel and south vestries,
nave with north and south aisles, tower at east of north aisle, north
porch with parvise over, and south porch. Chancel has east C13 3-stepped
lancet window, outer arch on detached shaft. On south wall lancets,
gabled vestry with similar. North chapel has C19 5-light Dec east
window and north late C13 2-light trefoiled bar-tracery windows, and
tomb recess. 3-stage tower, to north angle buttresses and slightly
higher stair turret, crenellated parapet. Nave clerestory has 2-light
trefoiled window. Flat-roofed aisles have C14 and C15 windows. North
porch C15 with 5-centred archway, now glazed, over 2-light window to
parvise. At west 4-centred door with recesses each side, over large
cinquefoiled 5-light transomed window.
Inside chancel C13 rear arches
with hoodmoulds on leaf-stops. Chapel arcade three bays on shafted piers,
east arch later. On south wall trefoiled piscina, and priest's door to
vestry and monument 1638 to Philip Clifford. Chapel has C15 good
hammerbeam roof with angels against hammers, tracery above hammers and
cusping below. On pier of tower monument 1801 to J B Coventry Bulkeley.
Chancel arch C13 2-centred, renewed capitals. In nave beside brass on
timber frame 1568 to Bulkeley family. Nave arcades 4-bay with round
piers and imposts. C15 queen-post roof. In south aisle C14 Purbeck
octagonal font. VCH; vol 4; 1911; p573-5. Buildings of England;
Pevsner; 1966; p235.
Listing NGR: SP1585918667
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings