This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.302 / 52°18'7"N
Longitude: 1.3142 / 1°18'51"E
OS Eastings: 626061
OS Northings: 272272
OS Grid: TM260722
Mapcode National: GBR WMN.P2L
Mapcode Global: VHL9Q.QDNM
Entry Name: Wilby Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280286
Location: Wilby, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wilby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
WILBY WILBY LANE
TM 27 SE
4/166 Wilby Hall
Farmhouse. Dated '1579 RB' in circular terracotta panel on base of gable stack;
later dairy range to rear. Altered c1900 with rear wing of about the same date.
Timber framed, facade of c1900 with red brick to ground floor and plastered first
floor with applied timbers. Original red brick gable end to left with some diaper
work. Ashlar-lined plasterwork to rear. Wavy bargeboards with pierced quatrefoils
to all gables. Roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys and attic. 3-cell form.
Mullion and transom casement windows without glazing bars. Lobby entrance: 2-
storey gabled addition, the ground floor forming an enclosed porch within which
is a 4-panel door. 2 gabled dormers. Internal stack. C16 gable end has paired
first floor windows with quoined stucco surrounds; one window has original mullions.
Blocked paired attic windows. Integral stack: 2 octagonal shafts with moulded
bases and C20 caps. Dairy range retains slatted windows and is largely unaltered
since C19. Internally most of the frame is concealed. Hall has fully moulded
bridging beam and remains of moulded cornice. Simpler mouldings to bridging beams
in the 3 other main rooms. Parlour chamber has good 3-centre arched stucco fire-
place with sunk spandrels. 2 solid treat attic stairs, one mostly rebuilt, Intact
queen-post roof. Preserved in the house is a carved drip finial, dated 1578 with
the initials 'B' over 'RM'. Intact medieval moat.
Listing NGR: TM2606172272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings