Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2815 / 52°16'53"N
Longitude: 1.0767 / 1°4'36"E
OS Eastings: 609968
OS Northings: 269280
OS Grid: TM099692
Mapcode National: GBR TJW.WKN
Mapcode Global: VHL9L.MX2B
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Location: Wickham Skeith, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Parish: Wickham Skeith
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281730
Source ID: 1352521
WICKHAM SKEITH CHURCH LANE
TM 06 NE
2/145 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1857. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and
south porches. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Chancel has remains of
render. Nave has slated roof, the chancel is plaintiled. Massive square
tower of late C14: 3-stage diagonal buttresses with chequer flushwork,
embattled parapet. Moulded west doorway over which is a trefoil-headed niche.
2-light belfry openings. 4-bay C15 nave has large 3-light windows, those to
north substantially original. Flushwork-enriched buttresses. Moulded north
and south doorways retain original doors. Good C15 north porch: flushwork-
panelled facade, further flushwork to front of parapet. Moulded entrance arch
on shafted jambs, hoodmould on further shafts, shield-carved spandrels. Above
is a stone frieze of crowned M's and a canopied image niche flanked by demi
buttress-shafts. Tall 2-light side windows with mask label stops. South
porch has knapped flint facade with panelled flushwork each side of entrance.
Moulded arch on shafted jambs with shield-carved spandrels: much of this
stonework renewed C19. Above is a trefoil lancet window, probably originally
lighting an upper chamber. Chancel has C15 windows of 2 lights (sides) and 3
lights (east end); the walls are older. Much-renewed Priest's doorway has 2-
centred arch. North wall has C17 tablet with acanthus-enriched bolection
surround and open pediment, the inscription now lost. Interior. C15
hammerbeam roof over nave is in 8 bays: moulded principal components, the
wallplates and hammerbeams also embattled; carved bosses at intersections.
Wallposts rest on angel corbels, some original. Chancel has moulded and
embattled wallplates, the roof timbers ceiled over. Chancel arch rests on
large corbel heads, probably re-dut C19. Remains of hoodmoulds with medieval
mask stops. To north of chancel arch is a group of 3 trefoil-headed image
niches; to south, one broad trefoil niche. Cusped ogee piscina. Rood loft
stair in north east nave. Doorway from tower into nave retains original
traceried door. Octagonal font, probably C15, has traceried bowl panels and
much-defaced angels and woodwoses against the stem. C17 turned altar rails.
Some nave benches re-use C17 and possibly earlier woodwork. Mid C19 pulpit,
west gallery, poppyhead benches and stalls.
Listing NGR: TM0996869280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings