This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8691 / 50°52'8"N
Longitude: 0.0062 / 0°0'22"E
OS Eastings: 541263
OS Northings: 109650
OS Grid: TQ412096
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.GDB
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.SB5
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293363
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4109 NW LEWES SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET
14/373 (south side)
Church of St John the Baptist
Hospitium, now church. Late C11 or early C12, C14, 1714-38, 1847, 1885.
Flint walling on nave to north with stone dressings and buttresses, chequer stone
and flint to south, as is north side of chancel. Red and blue brick chequer
to lower stage of tower with red brick above and chequer battlements. Rubble
stone diagonal buttresses with dressed stone dressings. Plain tiled roofs.
Octagonal cupola to tower with dome, finial and shark weathervane. Nave of five
bays to north with four bay aisle to south. North windows C14, much renewed in
1885; south aisle windows C15, also renewed. Interior: Tower arch, probably
C14. South aisle arcade of four piers. late Cll or early C12. Drum-piers with
unmoulded arches, probably renewed. Crown-post collar-purlin nave roof of C15
with downward braces from crown-posts to tie-beams. Also ashlar-pieces and
braces from rafters to collars. Chancel of two bays, that to west C15, much
rebuilt, that to east 1885, an identical copy. Curvilinear east window with C20
stained glass. Two-bay wagon roof with cranked principals. Chapel of William
de Warenne and Gundrada, his wife, at east end of south aisle. 1845 by J.L.
Parsons of Lewes in Neo-Norman style, advised by Benjamin Ferrey. Groin-vaulted
with giant order in corners of chapel. Interlaced side wall arcading with dog-
tooth string-course over. Round-arched windows with chevron ornament and order
of columns with decorated capitals. Pair of similar wall openings to south with
the two lead cists of William and Gundrada. Central slab to Gundrada, possibly
of Tourmi marble with palmettes either side of a middle staff. Stained glass:
north windows by Kempe, 1882-91. Organ: 1904 with stone substructure in early
W.H. Godfrey, The Official Guide to Lewes, 1933, revised 1977, 43-44.
B.O.E., Sussex, 1965, 552-553.
Listing NGR: TQ4126409649
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings