History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

The Parish Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Lavington, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9381 / 50°56'17"N

Longitude: -0.6547 / 0°39'16"W

OS Eastings: 494620

OS Northings: 116263

OS Grid: SU946162

Mapcode National: GBR FH3.39D

Mapcode Global: FRA 96JM.DS1

Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Peter

Location: East Lavington, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Parish: East Lavington

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Listing Date: 18 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301699

Source ID: 1354682

Listing Text


SU 91 NW EAST LAVINGTON BEECHWOOD LANE
18/1 The Parish Church of
18.6.59 St Peter

II*
C13, restored, in fact largely rebuilt by G E Street about 1870 and again in 1937
at the expense of Mrs Catherine Macdonald Bushanon of Lavington Park. Chancel,
south transept or chapel, nave with north aisle and bell-gable at west end of the
nave. The Reverend Henry Edward (afterwards Cardinal) Manning was Rector of the
living, combined with Graffham, from 1833-51 and Archdeacon of Chichester from
1841-51. He was married in the church on the 7 November 1833 to Caroline, third
daughter of the previous Rector, The Reverend John Sargent and grandaughter of
Mrs Sargent of Lavington Park. Mrs Manning is buried in the churchyard but has
no tombstone. The Reverend Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford and later of
Winchester, was also married in the church on the 11 June 1828 to Mrs Manning's
eldest sister, Emily. Both she and the Bishop are buried in the churchyard beside
Mrs Manning.


Listing NGR: SU9462016263

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.