This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8247 / 50°49'28"N
Longitude: -0.3956 / 0°23'44"W
OS Eastings: 513097
OS Northings: 104017
OS Grid: TQ130040
Mapcode National: GBR HMG.8S8
Mapcode Global: FRA B61X.KP8
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 11 October 1949
Last Amended: 21 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1354775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302248
Location: Worthing, West Sussex, BN13
County: West Sussex
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: West Tarring St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 1304 SW CHURCH ROAD
753/15/59 West Tarring
11-OCT-49 (South side)
St Andrews Church
(Formerly listed as:
West Tarring Church (St Andrew's))
Church. Late C13, C15, and C16; mid-C19 restoration and alterations; 1885 scheme of mosaic decoration, designed by William Butterfield and installed by itinerant Italian mosaicists employed by Burke & Co. Knapped flint, re-set mid-C19, with stone dressings. Graduated Horsham slate to chancel and porch roofs; wood shingles to spire; 1950s plain-tile roofs to nave and aisles.
Plan: C13 5-bay aisled nave with clerestorey and central north and south porches (mid-C19); lower C15 2-bay chancel; C15 west tower with C16 spire. In Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, having: quoins to angles; buttresses with ashlar off-sets; quoined pointed-arched openings, principal ones with hoodmoulds; corbelled raised verges with ashlar copings and gable crosses; off-set stepped ashlar copings to embattled 4-stage tower. Nave: 4 small windows to clerestorey and aisles; taller aisle east- and west-end windows, the former of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil over. Tower: west end: large angle butt resses; door in moulded surround with hoodmould; replacement panel tracery to window over door; narrow trefoil-headed light above, and 2-light window to upper stage with reticulated tracery. North side: windows to 3rd and 4th stages similar. South side: similar 3rd-stage light; 4th stage has window of paired cusped lights with wooden lattice. Similar window to east side, below clock face and with oculus on south side. Vice at south-east angle has small rectangular chamfered lights. Octagonal spire with weather-cock. Chancel: offset plinth. Central butress. 2-light windows with renewed tracery; restored 5-light east window with cusped tracery to head. Late-C20 semi-subterranean vestry attached to south side of nave.
Interior: nave: pointed-arched arcades with simply-moulded bases and capitals to circular columns; continuous hoodmoulds with carved pendants. Double piscina in south-east corner has moulded, cusped, architrave and bowls in the form of a trefoil and a quatrefoil. Mid-C19 chancel arch, crown-post roof, pulpit, lectern and some surviving floor tiles. 1885 mosaics above aisle arcades and tower arch depicting the 12 apostles set above the apostles creed and portraits of the patriarchs. Tower: arch carried on attached semi-octagonal columns; pointed-arched vice door; early-C18 Stiles family wall monument comprising aedicule with coat-of-arms over; flanking oval memorial tablets; C19 font. Chancel: C15 screen with perpendicular-style tracery, metal spikes, 6 misericords on east side carved with heads and foliage and the decorative panelling returning along chancel north and south walls (part-restored) with contemporary choir-stall fronts and fleur-de-lis finials. Jacobean altar-rail with turned balusters, stylised floral motif to frieze, and acorn finials. Matching contemporary altar table. North porch: commemorative brasses record the installation of the mosaics and their cleaning (1913). Red and black floor tiles. Inner door has moulded pointed arch with leaf terminals on attached columns. Plainer south doorway opposite.
Donkin, V, "Mosaics at St Andrew, West Tarring", Church Building, Issue 56, March/April 1999, pp. 62-3.
Pevsner, N, The buildings of England, West Sussex, pp. 392-3.
Listing NGR: TQ1309704017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings