History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Idmiston Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Idmiston, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1348 / 51°8'5"N

Longitude: -1.7182 / 1°43'5"W

OS Eastings: 419813

OS Northings: 137319

OS Grid: SU198373

Mapcode National: GBR 50K.Y3X

Mapcode Global: VHC31.5QJX

Entry Name: Idmiston Manor

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Last Amended: 29 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355682

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319957

Location: Idmiston, Wiltshire, SP4

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Idmiston

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Idmiston with Porton Gomeldon St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Cholderton

Listing Text

IDMISTON CHURCH ROAD
SU 13 NE
(south side)
3/64 Idmiston Manor
(formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse)
10.1.53
II*

House. c.1600 probably for Giles Rowbach, died 1633. Rendered
flint, with limestone dressings. Tiled roof. Two storeys and
attics, with cellar under left section. Three wide bays, with two
short wings to rear of left bays, and mid C19 structure, now a
separate dwelling and not of special interest, added to rear of
right bay, with its own back wing parallel to front. Plan has
cross passage within low hall extending to right, and parlour on
higher level to left. Dog-leg stair to rear of passage. Two
storey gabled porch with open Tudor arch at ground level, and paned
windows to chamber over. Timber paned casement windows, those to
right having mid C19 stone floating cornice on brackets as rear
wing. Three gabled dormers and gable stacks.
Interior has timber framed partition with central paired panelled
doors to left of cross passage, leading to fully C17 panelled
parlour, the panelling with carved top frieze. Major fireplace
with carved spandrels and ovolo and cyma moulded jambs. Within
hall, a lateral plain chamfered stone fireplace. Panelled shutters
to deep window reveals. C17 dog leg stair with shaped and
perforated splat balusters. First floor has principal chamber over
hall, fully panelled in later C17 work, with bolection moulded
panels, door and oak cornice. Rear chamber similar but more
modestly panelled. Attics have simply chamfered oak door surrounds
and double butt purlin roof. Here negotiations were commenced
with General George Monck for the Restoration of Charles II to the
English throne.
(RCHM Survey: Pamphlet English Joy (1660) Harl. Misc. Vol VII 1810
p.lll).


Listing NGR: SU1981737315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.