Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0184 / 51°1'6"N
Longitude: 0.1298 / 0°7'47"E
OS Eastings: 549479
OS Northings: 126496
OS Grid: TQ494264
Mapcode National: GBR LPT.3M2
Mapcode Global: FRA C65F.6DG
Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church
Location: Buxted, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Listing Date: 25 August 1999
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476996
Source ID: 1356765
TQ 42 NE BUXTED CHILLES LANE
(East, off), High Hurstwood
Holy Trinity Church
Church. 1870-71, principal benefactress Lady Catherine Vernon-Harcourt; clock tower 1903; vestry 1935. Coursed, tooled, stone with ashlar bands and dressings, upper part of clock tower timber-framed with pebble-dash infill; plain tile roof with decorative bands. 3-bay nave with north aisle, south-west porch raised as clock-tower, large gabled south-east window, and gabled bell-cote at east end. Apsidal chancel with north vestry. Large vestry addition to west end. In early English style, having: chamfered plinth; offset butresses; stepped roll-moulded sill-string; chancel impost band; pointed-arched doors and windows, those of nave with hoodmoulds and the principal nave windows having plate-tracery; ashlar coping to verges; metal rainwater pipes with decorative, dated, hoppers. Nave: large west window and gable chimney. South side: 3-stage porch/clock tower has angle butresses; hollow-moulded entrance with large lantern over; two chamfered windows above; a clock face and louvres to 3 sides of upper stage; and pyramidal roof with vents and decorative ridge tiles. Inner door, up 4 stone steps, has double board door with decorative strap hinges and nail-head decoration to corbelled arch of moulded architrave. Bellcote has 2 bells in pointed-arched openings with attached columns and quatrefoil over and Celtic cross finial. North side has Caernarvon-arched door and windows. Chancel: six chamfered lancet windows; decorative iron cross. Interior: 2-bay aisle arcade; corbelled dwarf columns support chancel arch. Nave roof has collared scissor-braced trusses with corbels to rafter supports; ribbed, decoratively-painted, chancel vault. Elaborate stone reredos with 3 tessellated niches; decorative iron balusters to altar rail; glazed and encaustic tiles to sanctuary steps. Octagonal font. Bench pews, the easternmost having panelled front and top-rail pierced with quatrefoils.
A good-quality rural church of 1870.
Leaflet, Holy Trinity Church, High Hurstwood.
Listing NGR: TQ4947926496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings