Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6139 / 54°36'49"N
Longitude: -2.64 / 2°38'23"W
OS Eastings: 358766
OS Northings: 524490
OS Grid: NY587244
Mapcode National: GBR BH02.7T
Mapcode Global: WH92Q.F938
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Location: Cliburn, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422666
Source ID: 1357504
NY 52 SE CLIBURN
4/52 Church of St Cuthbert
Parish Church; C12 with extensive late C19 restoration. Coursed, squared rubble
with snecked rubble additions. Graduated slate roofs (lead roof to aisle) with
stone copings and kneelers; bellcote with iron gable-cross to west end.
Originally 2-cell plan with south aisle added and gabled porch rebuilt in 1886.
Narrow slit window with semicircular head on north side of chancel probably
original; others, multi-light, variously foiled and cusped are C19. Lead
rainwater goods have dated rainwater heads (1886) and rosette decoration to
guttering. Reset C12 south door has plain jambs; small carved figure to either
end of shouldered lintel, blank tympanum with chevron decoration to voussoirs.
2 fragmentary inscribed Roman stones and part of medieval grave slab are built
into inner porch walls. Internally, original chamfered semicircular chancel
arch survives; late C19 octagonal arcade pier and responds. Late C12 font at
west end of south aisle has octagonal bowl (recut?), with moulded underside, on
shaft with zig-zag decoration; moulded necking to chamfered base.
Listing NGR: NY5876624490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings