This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4715 / 51°28'17"N
Longitude: -0.0307 / 0°1'50"W
OS Eastings: 536871
OS Northings: 176561
OS Grid: TQ368765
Mapcode National: GBR K7.2XM
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.F83T
Entry Name: Public Library
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Last Amended: 14 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203344
Location: Lewisham, London, SE14
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Hatcham St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
On pages 54, 55 and 56 the entries known as Public Library, Nos 160 to 166 (even),
No 168, Nos 170 to 184 (even), No 186 and North annexe to Southern block of South-East
London Technical College, all Lewisham Way SE14, shall be amended to read Lewisham
LEWISHAM WAY SE14
4424 (South-West Side)
TQ 3676 7/l84
1914 by H Brumwell Thomas. 1 storey, 4 windows. Raised attic blank in front.
Modified baroque style. Front centre, of ashlar, has 4 pairs of tall Ionic
columns (the outer ones square) supporting entablature with pulvinated frieze
and dentil cornice, broken back and continuous through rebated left angle and
along return. Here it rests on 2 pairs of Ionic pilasters (the outer ones
square) at either end. All columns and pilasters rest on substantial stone
plinth. Above blocking course a cornice and high parapet, with ornamental pilas-
ters rising through it to top cornice and having block finials. Central
open pediment with inscription in garland: "DEPTFORD CENTRAL LIBRARY, 1914.
Side bays of banded rusticated brick, as is left return within stone end
sections. Round arched windows, those at sides and on return in coved
recesses with gauged and rusticated heads. Moulded architraves and
impost string to windows in centrepiece. Double door, of 6 fancy panels,
has enriched architrave cornice and parapet with raised centre holding
inscription in wreath: 'This library is the gift of Andrew Carnegie."
Inside barrel - vaulted hall, groin - vaulted for doorways Massive
staircase with stone balustrade and Venetian window on half-landing.
Listing NGR: TQ3687176561
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings