This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5179 / 51°31'4"N
Longitude: 0.1908 / 0°11'26"E
OS Eastings: 552099
OS Northings: 182164
OS Grid: TQ520821
Mapcode National: GBR SP.4RF
Mapcode Global: VHHNM.836P
Entry Name: Rainham Hall
Listing Date: 7 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201551
Location: Havering, London, RM13
Locality: Rainham and Wennington
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Rainham
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 5282/5382 6/2 7.1.55
Built in 1729 for John Harle a merchant and owner of Rainham Wharf. Three
storeys and basement. Brown-red brick with red rubbed brick dressings.
Plinth with stone cornice, rusticated stone angle quoins, brick bands between
each storey, elaborate carved wood cornice, panelled parapet. Five cambered
headed sash windows, cased frames, glazing bars. Double keystone, and projecting
panelled aprons to each window. The centre one window bay of the front projects
slightly for the whole height. Central entrance with very handsome carved
wood porch with fluted Corinthian pilasters supporting individual entablatures
with an open segmental pediment, richly coffered on the soffit. Doorway
has architrave surround with baroque scrolled feature to centre. Door with
12 glazed panels, thick glazing bars; 2 fielded panels to bottom. Flight
of 4 stone steps, with moulded nosings, up. Rear elevation, similar, but
with recessed aprons to each window, central closed porch with fluted pilasters,
triglyph frieze and cornice. A symmetrical central 1st floor round headed
staircase window with dropped cill. Churchyard elevation similar, no doorway
or central projection, 3 windows. Similar front to south. Flat topped hipped
old tile roof, rectangular stacks. The interior is unaltered with many
fine contemporary fittings. All the principal rooms are fully panelled,
there is a black and white marble floor in the entrance hall, a fine staircase
with cut string and twisted balusters, and several good fireplaces. (Reference:
Country Life 5 June 1920).
Listing NGR: TQ5209982164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings