Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.594 / 51°35'38"N
Longitude: -0.3778 / 0°22'40"W
OS Eastings: 512462
OS Northings: 189598
OS Grid: TQ124895
Mapcode National: GBR 4D.CD8
Mapcode Global: VHFT0.D6LC
Entry Name: Pinner House
Location: Harrow, London, HA5
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202008
Source ID: 1358615
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/12/2012
TQ 1289 NW
CHURCH LANE, PINNER
Large house now old peoples' home. Probably Cl7, remodelled early-mid C18 (a brick
reportedly dated 1721); C19 and C20 alterations. Front of red brick in Flemish bond
with darker red brick dressings; returns and rear tile hung above late C20 brick
plinth. Hipped plain tile roof with paired corniced brick stacks at centre.
3 storeys with cellar; 5 bays (3 at rear) x 3. South-west elevation: roll-moulded
plinth. Central bay projects and has giant pilasters rising from 1st floor and
supporting pediment. Central entrance: in projecting, corniced, brick panel; steps
up to door of 6 raised and fielded panels; fanlight with decorative glazing bars;
wooden architrave with fluted Ionic pilasters and dentilled open pediment. Sash
windows: of 20 panes, unequally-hung, to ground and 1st floors with flat brick
arches, the window over door with ogee-carved arch; shorter, of 16 panes, to
2nd floor; all with exposed sash boxes; brick aprons to 1st and 2nd floors.
Segmental-arched cellar windows to 2 right-hand bays. Deep modillion eaves cornice
which returns. Rear: tall central stair window. Right return: 2 left bays have a
2-storey canted bay with 12-panel sashes and cornice to ground floor, 20-pane sashes
above. Mid-late C20 extensions to rear and to rear right. Interior: entrance lobby
has floor of black and white stone; and entrance with columns supporting archivolt,
all in pilastered and corniced surround. High quality early C18 open-string,
dog-leg, stair rising to attic and having panelled dado, twisted column-on-vase
balusters (2 per tread), wave-moulded tread ends, and moulded handrail with spiral
curtails and columnar newels. Early C18 doors, cupboards and fireplaces throughout.
Chamfered beams with pyramid and lambs tongue stops. Right-hand ground-floor room
has early C18 panelling and eared fireplace architrave with elaborate frieze and
cornice; room above also panelled. Left-hand ground-floor room has reset Cl7
panelling. In attic right-hand gable is preserved a pair of principal rafters from
a former lower roof-line. A photo of c1924 shows that the returns were then
rendered rather than tile-hung.
Listing NGR: TQ1246289598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings