This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4805 / 51°28'49"N
Longitude: -0.0097 / 0°0'34"W
OS Eastings: 538306
OS Northings: 177605
OS Grid: TQ383776
Mapcode National: GBR L1.G6X
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.S17W
Entry Name: Church of St Alfege
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200365
Location: Greenwich, London, SE10
Locality: Greenwich West
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
786/26/G1 GREENWICH CHURCH STREET SE10
19-OCT-51 (West side)
CHURCH OF ST ALFEGE
Revision Number: 2
GREENWICH CHURCH STREET SE10
Church of St Alfege
TQ 3877 26/G1 19.10.51.
1711-14 by Nicholas Hawksmoor. One of the 1st of the "Fifty New Churches" arising
from the Act of 1711. Masons were Edward Strong (who had worked for Wren on
St Paul's Cathedral) and Edward Tufnell. Steeple 1730 by John James, rebuilt
1813. Cruciform church with West tower. Portland stone ashlar. Doric entablature
all the way round, supported on pilasters defining bays. Moderately low pitched
roof now copper covered. Pediment at East end with urn finials at either side.
Doric entablature beneath broken by high, round arch. Centre of East end recessed,
producing portico distyle in antis, with steps up to it but no entrance. Wide,
segment-headed 1st floor window supports, modified entablature with 2 pilasters
rising thence to archivolt. Flat pilasters define back wall of portico. Flanking
windows round arched. Low, flat-arched windows below. Along sides round headed
1st floor windows, in round arches recesses, have aprons below with guttae.
Square ground floor windows in square recesses. In transept ends 3 round arched
doors with plain architraves and impost blocks. Paved terrace in front of them
reaching to gabled crypt entrances. 3 nave windows at either side of transepts.
Square west tower of 4 stages. Ground floor blank with shallow niches and projecting
angle pilasters. Low 2nd stage has oculus with one keystone, and low, round
angle buttresses. Taller, Ionic 3rd stage with paired angle pilasters. Above
this octagonal stage with clock faces and urns at angles. Tall, Corinthian drum,
with oculus above round arch in each of 8 faces, supports dome with stone spike,
ball and vane finial. West entrance in tower has shouldered architrave, triple
keystone, alternating block sides, cornice and pediment. Flanking round headed
windows, in round arched recesses, with Gibbs surround.
Interior almost completely remodelled after war damage. West organ gallery and
side galleries renewed. Ceiling plaster work with oval raised border also renewed.
Corinthian columns of reredos remain. East wall repainted in imitation of coffered
apse. Restoration by Albert Richardson in 1950's. Original staircases remain
in transepts. C17 baluster font on North-west end.
Listing NGR: TQ3830677605
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings