Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7295 / 52°43'46"N
Longitude: -0.1997 / 0°11'58"W
OS Eastings: 521670
OS Northings: 316169
OS Grid: TF216161
Mapcode National: GBR HXT.Y1T
Mapcode Global: WHHMS.XN3C
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Location: Deeping St. Nicholas, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11
District: South Holland
Parish: Deeping St. Nicholas
Locality: Deeping St Nicholas
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Listing Date: 7 February 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198122
Source ID: 1359260
DEEPING ST.NICHOLAS LITTLEWORTH DROVE
TF 21 NW
12/6 Church of
Parish church. 1845, by Charles Kirk of Sleaford in Decorated
style. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings,
slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles, stone coped gables with
crosses fleury. Nave, chancel, north aisle, north western tower
and spire. In the west end of the nave, a 5 light window with
cusped flowing tracery, above a pointed half window with 3
trefoils. 3 light north aisle west window with trefoil over in
the gable. The 4 stage tower has plinth, moulded string
courses, plain parapet, stepped corner buttresses with crocketed
and embellished gablettes, richly crocketed corner pinnacles.
Set back spire with 3 tiers of alternating lucarnes. Deeply
moulded and pointed doorway with paired shafted reveals with
annular capitals. Inner doorway with filleted orders and shafts
with foliated capitals. In the porch 2 grotesque gargoyles and
an angel corbel. In the belfry stage, paired lights with shafted
reveals. On the north side a 2 light window with deeply moulded
surround and reticulated tracery. Above a small trefoil headed
light. A similar light also on the east side. The north aisle
has a fleuron frieze and 2 two light reticulated tracery windows.
The east end matches the west. Gabled vestry with external wall
stack having octagonal shaft with decorated cornice and a 3 light
east window. To the chancel a 4 light window with elaborate
flowing tracery. In the south wall 2 two light windows with
flowing tracery and a small pointed priests' door. In the nave
eastern gable a pointed half window with cusped trilobes. The
south side of the nave has 4 three light windows with flowing
tracery, subdivided by stepped buttresses. In the frieze runs an
inscription recording the dedication of the church in 1845.
Interior. 4 bay north nave arcade with filleted quatrefoil piers
with annular capitals and double chamfered arches. Matching
chancel arch. In the east wall a shouldered doorway giving
access to the pulpit, and a similar door on the south side. In
the north wall of the chancel a matching doorway with curved
steps to the pulpit, and a further entrance to the vestry.
Stained glass in east window by T. F. Curtis 1918. Fittings. In
the east wall 2 commandment boards in Gothick panels. Timber
glazed screen around entrance porch with trefoil headed panels.
Octagonal font with shield side panels and clustered shafted
stem. In the north wall of the chancel an elaborate wall
memorial to William and Nicholas Clarke Stevenson, founders of
the church, in the form of a Gothic tomb recess with cusped ogee
arched top with crocketed canopy and pinnacles, d.1843 and 1844.
Deeping St.Nicholas was first formed as a parish in 1846,
following the draining of this area of Fen.
Listing NGR: TF2167016169
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings