History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hayes and Coney Hall, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3658 / 51°21'56"N

Longitude: -0.0062 / 0°0'22"W

OS Eastings: 538898

OS Northings: 164854

OS Grid: TQ388648

Mapcode National: GBR L8.P45

Mapcode Global: VHGRM.VX3W

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Location: Bromley, London, BR4

County: London

District: Bromley

Locality: Hayes and Coney Hall

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Listing Date: 28 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358507

Source ID: 1359332

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/12/2012


TQ 36 SE 13/25
28.5.54
4407


LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM
Church of Saint John the Baptist


II*


Parish Church. Late C15, incorporating some earlier stonework. Baptistery 1825, north aisle
widened 1844 as part of restoration by John Whichcord; organ chamber 1889 by J D Sedding;
vestries added over and to north of chapel in 1961. Knapped flint with stone dressings; some stone
to lower walls of chapel, rendered chancel. Tiled roof Chancel, nave with west bapistery, south
tower with entrance porch beneath, north chapel and aisle, the latter doubled in width in 1844 to
which the vestries abut to east. The nave, north aisle and tower refaced in 1844, when top oftower
rebuilt with machicolations; the windows all C15 and mostly oftwo cinquefoil lights under straight
heads.
Interior. Arch to chapel C14, chancel arch and arcades may also predate the recorded C15
rebuilding; Two-bay chancel arcade, three-bay nave arcade much restored 1844-7. Chancel with
medieval tiles, reset; mosaic pavement 1896. Fine fittings by Sedding include the organ case (organ
1860s), pulpit, linenfold panelling, chancel pews with poppyheads and rood screen (this last said
to be C15 in origins and resited as parclose screen in 1991). Reredos 1930s. East window by
Herbert Bryans, 1901; his also the small south-east window. South window by C E Kempe.
Chapel with resited brasses, and three windows filled with early C16 stained glass figures reset in
modern quarries after 1945. North-west window of chapel with glass perhaps by Willement. Nave
with western gallery, perhaps of 1825 or a little later, on cast-iron columns; low, narrow bapistery
behind built as vestry in 1825 and adapted 1912. Late C15 font. Late C19 pews. West window
with figures by Herbert Bryans in mid-C20 quarries. Nine late C18 and early C19 hatchments in
chancel and nave. North aisle with two windows by C E Kempe, 1896, and one by Powell of
whitefiiars. by Bryans the two windows in the porch. Many memorials, including that of Samuel
Lennard, d.1618, tomb chest, and Margaret Hobbes, d.1608, wall monument of small figure with
stillborn child.

Listing NGR: TQ3889864854

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.