History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Kettlethorpe Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Kettlethorpe, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2706 / 53°16'14"N

Longitude: -0.7294 / 0°43'46"W

OS Eastings: 484830

OS Northings: 375602

OS Grid: SK848756

Mapcode National: GBR RZBM.W8

Mapcode Global: WHFGR.R1VZ

Entry Name: Kettlethorpe Hall

Location: Kettlethorpe, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN1

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Parish: Kettlethorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Listing Date: 20 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197004

Source ID: 1359468

Listing Text

SK 87 NW KETTLETHORPE HALL LANE

2/41 Kettlethorpe Hall
20-3-85
G.V. II

Small country house. Early C18 incorporating earlier masonry,
with extensive alterations and addition of c.1863. Red brick
with ashlar dressings, coursed limestone rubble, hipped slate
roof with gabled central projecting bay and 4 brick wall stacks.
The 5 bay 2 storey brick front is arranged 2:1:2, the central bay
being slightly advanced. It has a brick plinth with a stone
coping and the right hand end has ashlar quoins. The central
door is covered by a C19 pedimented porch with Ionic pilasters
and plain casement side lights. To the left is a single C19 2
light sash with beyond a blocked opening and to right 2 similar
windows. To first floor are 4 two light sashes with a blocked
opening to the left. In the bargeboarded gable is a carved coat
of arms with escutcheon, to the Amcotts family. All openings
have segmental brick heads. To the right of the front is a 2
storey single bay, late C19, brick lean-to. At the rear are 2
areas of coursed limestone rubble being part of the earlier
house. Interior. The drawing room has a high ceiling with light
delicate plasterwork with Adam bows and scrolls. The dining room
has early C18 full height panelling with dado rail, dentillated
frieze and arched alcoves to either side of the fireplace with
keystone, pilasters, a pulvinated frieze and cornice over. The
late C18 fireplace is in pink marble with urn and fluted
pilasters. In the rear hall are 2 semi-circular archways, with
carved faces on the impost blocks. The rear stair has turned and
knopped balusters in early C18 style, with carved string and
panelled side wall. The rear sitting room has re-used C17
wainscotting, C18 panelling on the window wall and a C18 eared
fireplace surround. A first floor bedroom is panel led to dado
height and has a late C18 Adam stylefireplace. The medieval
house on this site was the home of Katherine Swynford, wife of
John of Gaunt. The early C18 house was built by the M.P. Charles
Hall who succeeded to the house in 1713. It then passed to the
Amcotts family, and a copy of the design for the marble fireplace
in the dining room is held in Victoria and Albert Museum,
inscribed for Charles Amcotts.


Listing NGR: SK8483075602

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.