Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1938 / 52°11'37"N
Longitude: -2.2234 / 2°13'24"W
OS Eastings: 384827
OS Northings: 255082
OS Grid: SO848550
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.GP3
Mapcode Global: VH92T.D4Y2
Entry Name: Premises Occupied by Tramps Night Club
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Listing Date: 5 April 1971
Last Amended: 27 June 2001
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488484
Source ID: 1359634
SO8455SE ANGEL PLACE
620-1/12/18 (West side)
05/04/71 Premises occupied by
Tramps night Club
(Formerly Listed as:
Congregationalist church, now discotheque. 1858, with
conversion to nightclub c1980-1990. Architects probably
Poulton and Woodman. Cotswold stone ashlar over brick with
pinkish-red brick to rear; pyramidal slate roof with finial
and right stack with cornice and pots. Rectangular on plan
with apse, in Classical style. Single tall storey, described
to front facade as 2 storeys, 3 bays with outer wings. Facade
is stepped twice with central break forward. Central bowed
tetrastyle Corinthian portico with Doric pilasters to
responds, surmounted by pediment with acroteria. Columns stand
on tall plinth interrupted by flight of horseshoe steps to
central entrance, 12-panel double doors with panelled
overlight in Caernarvon-arched surround with cornice on
scrolled corbel brackets; continuous band over with panels
with lozenge motif below round-arched windows with circular
glazing bars, with imposts, architraves and keystones. Outer
bays: large piers with pyramidal caps to street frontage and
flights of steps to 6-panel doors with blind fanlights in
tooled architraves with keystone, pulvinated frieze and
cornice surmounted by balustrade with bulbous balusters. To
upper stage are round-arched windows with imposts, architraves
and keystones. Wings have Caernarvon-arched openings, that to
left with 4-panel door, that to right a replacement door,
panels over. Continuous cornice with acanthus modillions,
parapet with cornice.
INTERIOR: apse has 2 Corinthian columns in antis with pilaster
reveals; trefoil pulpit. Bowed balcony with ornate cast-iron
railings, on brackets; balcony retains benches. Ceiling has
central dome and ribs on corbels.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a distinguished example of Nonconformist
church architecture in robust classical style.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire:
Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 332; Royal Commission on the
Historical Monuments of England: Nonconformist Chapels &
Meeting Houses(Hfds., Worcs. & Warwicks.: 1986-: 256-257).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings