History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence and Bishop Edward King

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2091 / 53°12'32"N

Longitude: 0.109 / 0°6'32"E

OS Eastings: 540943

OS Northings: 370081

OS Grid: TF409700

Mapcode National: GBR KV2.Y2T

Mapcode Global: WHJLR.NL3P

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence and Bishop Edward King

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359689

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195931

Location: Dalby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Dalby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: DalbySt Lawrence and Blessed Edward King

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Listing Text

DALBY DALBY HALL LANE
TF 47 SW (south side)

4/4 Church of
3.2.67 St. Lawrence and
Bishop Edward King

G.V. II

Parish church. 1862. James Fowler of Louth. Re-using some
material from the former church. Dressed stone, ashlar, some
red, yellow and blue brick. Slate roofs. Coped gables with
single ridge crosses to the east nave and chancel. Decorative
ridges. Buttressed and set on a chamfered plinth. Nave with
west bell turret, south porch and chancel. Octagonal bell turret
projecting to the west and supported on a single buttress has a
spirelet with single tier of 4 lucarnes and corbel table of ball
flowers under. Turret of 2 stages, the west side with single
ogee arched and cusped light, arch supported on single pair of
colonnettes with decorative capitals. Above are 4 ogee arched
and cusped lights, those of the south and north sides part
blocked by small buttresses. The west nave has 2 arched windows,
each with single light, cusped tracery, hood mould, decorative
label stops and finials. Continuous sill band. North nave has a
single arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and
decorative label stops. East chancel has a single arched 3 light
window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label
stops. Continuous sill band. The south chancel has a single
arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and
decorative label stops. The south nave with 2 similar larger
windows, hood moulds and label stops. South porch with moulded
arched entrance, hood mould and decorative label stops. Inner
moulded arched doorway, hood mould and decorative label stops.
Flush arch of polychromatic brickwork over. Interior of red
brick with flush yellow brick bands and polychromatic brick work
to the window arches apart from the east window of the south nave
which is ashlar. Yellow and red brick chancel arch supported on
ashlar colonnettes with shaft rings and decorative capitals.
Arch of east window supported on a single pair of similar smaller
colonnettes. C14 octagonal ashlar font with quatrefoil panels.
Ashlar pulpit. 2 C18 floor slabs. Good alabaster wall memorial
to Julyan Llanden, 1617. The apron is decorated with a coloured
shield and the crown with a small coloured kneeling female
figure, carved in low relief. Further alabaster wall memorial to
William Llanden and his wife, 1631. The decorative apron also
with a coloured shield. Over the inscription tablet are 2
coloured kneeling figures flanked by single Corinthian columns
supporting an entablature with coloured cartouche. The wall
tablet to Revd. Willm. Tyler, 1808, is surmounted by an urn.


Listing NGR: TF4094370081

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Dalby Hall
    Dalby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23
  • II The Grange
    Partney, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.