This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2378 / 53°14'15"N
Longitude: 0.1623 / 0°9'44"E
OS Eastings: 544405
OS Northings: 373375
OS Grid: TF444733
Mapcode National: GBR KTY.5TB
Mapcode Global: WHJLL.GWH7
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359700
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196110
Location: Well, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13
District: East Lindsey
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Well St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
WELL WELL VALE PARK
TF 47 SW
4/44 Church of
Parish church. Built in 1733 in the form of a Palladian Temple
on a direct axis to the front door of Well Vale House. Altered
late C18, restored 1959. Red brick in English bond, painted
ashlar dressings and stucco. Westmoreland slate roof with lead
dressings, boarded bell cupola, with shaped felted dome, dating
from restoration. Single cell plan with eastern Tuscan
tetrastyle portico, consisting of 4 ashlar columns, supporting
large pediment on plain brackets. Diamond set stone flagged
floor to portico. On the inner stuccoed wall 4 pilasters frame
the 8 panelled doorway with moulded architrave and cornice,
flanked by single blank openings with moulded architrave and
keystone. The added sexagonal bellcote over has weather boarded
base and 6 Tuscan columns support cornice and cupola. The side
walls of the nave have plinth and deeply overhanging eaves with
plain dentillated brackets, 2 semi-circular headed windows with
key and impost blocks, later Y tracery and leaded lights. In the
west end a Venetian window with broad dividing pier. Interior.
Egg and dart moulded rear arches to windows. Walls have late C18
swagged frieze and dentillated cornice, elaborate ceiling with
plaster roundels of bound stems, harebell swags and cherubs.
Fittings. C18 tiered box pews to either side of nave, with
fluted pilasters to front panels. Similar pews to either side
of altar. Early C18 altar rails with knopped and turned
balusters. C20 panelled oak reredos with central niche, all in
C18 style. Double decker panelled pulpit with tester having
triglyph and dentillated frieze. Stair balusters match altar
rails. Panelled oak gallery hung with Royal Arms of George II
and C18 funeral hatchments, one of 1733 to Mrs. Anne Bateman of
Wellvale House. To either side of the altar are semi-circular
headed commandment boards with moulded plaster surrounds.
Source: Country Life, Dec.21, 1972.
Listing NGR: TF4440573374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings