Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5455 / 53°32'43"N
Longitude: -0.3981 / 0°23'53"W
OS Eastings: 506237
OS Northings: 406626
OS Grid: TA062066
Mapcode National: GBR TWNF.LR
Mapcode Global: WHGGP.V4LR
Entry Name: Church of Saint Maragret
Location: Somerby, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN38
District: West Lindsey
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196686
Source ID: 1359824
TA OO NE SOMERBY
4/140 Church of
Parish Church; C13, C15, C17, C18, 1864. Restored 1884-5 by H.
M. Townsend of Peterborough. West tower, nave and chancel.
Ironstone with ashlar dressings, some chalk blocks as common wall
stones, slate roofs. West tower of ironstone with chamfered
limestone plinth, single small paired lights in belfry stage,
with above an early C17 cyma moulded cornice with battlements
over. In the west side is a 3 light C17 window with chamfered
mullions and cyma moulded lintel. North nave wall is of
ironstone with some possibly earlier chalk blocks at the west end
which also has a stepped angle buttress and a much weathered
gargoyle. Two 2 light C17 windows with chamfered mullions and
cyma moulded lintels. To east a blocked C13 arch, west reveal
only survives, chamfered, possibly from a crossing since it is
precisely balanced on the south side. In the blocking of this
arch a C15 3 light cusped trefoil ogee headed window with a
moulded frame and flat dripmould. Chancel is later than the nave,
since it has a plinth which runs round all 3 walls. East chancel
wall has stepped angle buttresses and blocked early C18
semicircular headed window with emphasised key and impost blocks.
Blocking dated EW (Weston) 1864 on a common wall stone. Upper
part of wall to gable rebuilt in brick. South chancel wall has a
similar blocked crossing opening as on the north. To the east is
a C19 3 light window in a C15 style, to the west a further,
similar window. South door is also C19 in the form of a C13
opening with human head label stops, that to the east is an
unmistakeable Queen Victoria. West of the door is a single C19
light. Stepped angle buttress at the end of the south wall.
Inside is a late C13 dying double chamfered tower arch without
capitals and a curious C19 rear arch giving the slight
impression of a vaulted space. In the south wall of the nave a
tomb niche rebuilt in the C19. Wide C13 chancel arch replaced
in C18 by a basket arch with moulded surround and keyblock.
Jambs of arch are engaged octagons with similarly shaped
capitals and abaci. The width of this arch reinforces the
likelihood of a crossing having at least been planned. To the
east, the jambs of the original arch can still be seen,
particularly on the north. Fittings are all C19 save for a
cusped trefoil headed piscina niche reused as a piscina arch on
the south side of the sanctuary, and the font which is a plain
C12 cylindrical tub resting on a moulded annular base which
appears contemporary. Traces of paint on the west side. Fine
small armorial panel of C18 painted glass in the westernmost
window of the south wall, to Sir Isaac Wolff, Bart. 1767.
Fragment of a late C13 priest's tombstone with low relief cross
fleury built into the north wall of the chancel. In both the
north and south walls are several sections of a C14 frieze of
recessed quatrefoils containing shields, probably from the sides
of a tomb chest. Monuments:- recumbent effigy of a knight,
late C13 on south side of nave. A fine carving with high relief,
angels support his pillow and the details of the chain armour,
breastplate and jambs are very clear. A surcoat with a shield
bearing a chevron between 2 birds. Feet rest on a lion beside
which is a small curled dog. In the chancel are 2 fine wreathed
marble urns in niches on classical bases with egg and dart
moulding to 2 sons of the Weston family, both of whom died in
the service of the East India Company in 1762 and 1767 respectively.
Also in the chancel a rectangular monument to Sir Edward Rossiter,
Commonwealth General, erected in 1758 by Edward Weston, who is
himself commemorated by a large marble wall plaque in the form
of an obelisk on the north wall of the chancel; d.1770, Member
of the Privy Council of Ireland.
Listing NGR: TA0623706626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings