History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Mablethorpe and Sutton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.328 / 53°19'40"N

Longitude: 0.272 / 0°16'19"E

OS Eastings: 551409

OS Northings: 383634

OS Grid: TF514836

Mapcode National: GBR ZYBY.PQ

Mapcode Global: WHJL8.4MT2

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Location: Mablethorpe and Sutton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN12

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Mablethorpe and Sutton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Listing Date: 9 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195618

Source ID: 1359993

Listing Text

TF 58 SW MABLETHORPE AND SUTTON CHURCH LANE,
Trusthorpe
6/13 Church of St. Peter
31.5.66
II
Parish church. C14, 1522, 1606, 1842, 1941. Red brick with
ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel,
vestry. The 3 stage tower of 1606 has stepped corner
buttresses, one offset and a battlemented parapet with ashlar
corner pinnacles. The single belfry lights have semi-circular
heads. Set in the wall of the second stage are 4 inscribed
ashlar stones, probably recording the names of the church wardens
and builders. The west door consists of a medieval double
chamfered pointed arch reset in a chamfered brick surround with
hood mould. Just below the offset to the second stage is an
ashlar datestone inscribed "1606 Anthone Swell". The nave dates
from 1842 and has 3 pointed windows to either side, timber
tracery and stone hoods. The 1941 chancel has a pair of lancets
on the north side and a 3 light east window. Vestry on the
north side of the chancel. Interior. Plain double chamfered
tower arch with beside it a C14 statue bracket. The chancel
arch has late C14 octagonal imposts but is otherwise C20. At
the west end of the nave is a timber gallery supported on 2
turned pillars, having a panelled front. All fittings are C19
or C20, including Royal Arms of 1842 in gallery. The octagonal
font is c.1400 with panelled stem and cusped ogee panel tracery
to the sides. In the tower is a rectangular stone plaque bearing
the inscription of the construction of a porch in 1522. At the
east end of the nave is a Gothic wall monument in brass and
stone, to William Loft d.1854.


Listing NGR: TF5140983634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.