History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Amber Hill, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0096 / 53°0'34"N

Longitude: -0.1847 / 0°11'4"W

OS Eastings: 521896

OS Northings: 347348

OS Grid: TF218473

Mapcode National: GBR HTK.852

Mapcode Global: WHHLG.4MB4

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Location: Amber Hill, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Parish: Amber Hill

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Listing Date: 5 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192067

Source ID: 1360489

Listing Text


TF 24 NW AMBER HILL CLAYDIKE BANK
(west side)

3/14 Church of St. John
The Baptist

II

Parish church. 1867 by Edward Browning, in neo Norman style.
Red brick with darker red brick dressings, and some ashlar
dressings. Welsh slate roof with lead dressings. Nave with
western bellcote, southern porch, facetted chancel. The west end
has plinth, chamfered band, dogtooth and 5 corbelled eaves
courses terminating on dentillated pilasters. 4 deep buttresses
with raking steps. The 3 light west window has semi-circular
heads to the lights with moulded brick mullions and 3 plain
circular lights set in the brick tympanum. It is flanked by
single buttresses and single tall semi-circular headed lights.
The gabled double bellcote has ashlar coping and kneelers, and
its tumbled raking walls are supported on a dentillated base.
The bell openings are semi-circular headed. The sides have
plinth, moulded cill band, corbelled and dentillated eaves with
stepped raking buttresses dividing the window bays which contain
paired semi-circular headed lights with roll moulded brick
surrounds. The north side has 5 pairs. The chancel has single
semi-circular headed lights with a circular window above under
pointed relieving arch in each of the 5 facetted sides. The
south side of the nave has 4 pairs of windows and a gabled porch
with tall semi-circular headed outer doorway having 2 orders of
moulded terracotta roll moulding and foliate capitals. In the
side walls are triple rectangular lights. The inner doorway is
similar with roll moulded reveals and deeply moulded terracotta
capitals. The planked double doors have contemporary iron
hinges. Interior. Yellow brick faced walls with red brick
dressings. All windows and rear arches in red brick. Hammer
beam roof supported on long ashlar corbels. Steeply pointed red
brick moulded chancel arch with roll moulded responds and moulded
stiff leaf terracotta imposts. Chancel has fleur de lys decorated
tile course beneath wall plate, and 2 carved ashlar wall shaft
corbels. Fine glazed relief tile reredos. Contemporary circular
font.


Listing NGR: TF2189647348

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.